Austin Vincent Clifford
Austin Vincent Clifford was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, on December 2, 1896. He received his A.B. from Butler University in 1917 and then entered the Army. In 1920 he enrolled at the Harvard University School of Law and received his LL.B. (1922). After graduation, he joined the Indianapolis law firm that would become Matson, Ross, McCord and Clifford. In 1939 he accepted a partnership in the Chicago law firm of Lord, Bissell, and Kadyk. In both cities, Clifford established a reputation as an expert in the field of corporate law. Clifford had a keen interest in banking, as well as the law, and for a time served as the Director of the Fletcher Trust Company, and later served as a member of the trust investment committee of the Fletcher National Bank and Trust Company.
With the outbreak of World War II, Clifford re-entered the Army and ultimately rose to the rank of Colonel. After the war, Clifford was invited to join the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law. Over the next twenty-one years (1946-1967), Clifford taught courses in Torts, Evidence, and International Law. He served as supervisor of the program to enhance a number of practical legal skills, and administered the school’s distinguished lecturer program. Clifford won the Herman Frederick Lieber teaching award in 1967, the year he retired.
After his retirement, he returned to private practice as counsel to the Bloomington law firm of Bunger, Harrell, and Robertson. Austin V. Clifford – lawyer, scholar, teacher, banker, solider – died on May 17, 1975.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law Faculty
Law | Legal Biography | Legal Education | Legal Profession
"Austin Vincent Clifford" (1896). Former Faculty. 31.