Fred Hodge Gregory
Born on the 4th of July (1925) in Indianapolis, Indiana, Fred Hodge Gregory was raised in Bloomington. He attended that city’s Elm Heights Elementary School and was a graduate of University High School (1944). He then served in the U. S. Navy as part of the 23rd Naval Construction Battalion on Guam. After the war, he attended Princeton University graduating with a bachelor's degree in political science in 1950. He then returned to Bloomington and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law, receiving his LL.B. degree in 1953.
On January 1, 1954, Gregory opened his first law practice in Bloomington. He would remain a local attorney for more than 50 years. He was elected Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney in 1959, serving in the position until 1962. He then joined law firm of Rogers & Rogers, before moving on to become the Trust Officer for the Monroe County Bank. In 1979, Gregory opened another solo practice in Bloomington, where he primarlily practiced Elder Law. Gregory was passionately involved in the Bloomington community. He served as a member of the John Ashton Committee, which initiated changes in the management of Bloomington Hospital and the construction of a new modern facility, as well as chair of a committee studying the need for a mental health facility in Monroe County. He later served as the ﬁrst president and member of the Board of Directors of the South Central Indiana Mental Health Foundation.
Gregory also served as Judge Pro Tem and special judge in various Monroe County courts. He was recognized for his exemplary pro bono work in 2001 by District 10 of the State of Indiana. In 2007, he received the Randall T. Shepard Excellence in Pro Bono Publico Award and in 2008 received the Distinguished Service Award from the Indiana University Maurer School of Law. Fred H. Gregory died in Bloomington in 2009.
Maurer Alumni, Distinguished Service Award
Law | Legal Biography | Legal Profession
Download 1962 Election Article (Bloomington Herald-Telephone) (2.8 MB)
"Fred Hodge Gregory" (1925). Notable Alumni. 209.