The faculty of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law are truly world class scholars and teachers. Historically the school has employed some of the sharpest minds in American jurisprudence. The deceased faculty listed here represent just a small percentage of the exceptional individuals who have served as faculty members of the Maurer School of Law.
Arrangement is by year of birth. To search for a specific former faculty member, use the search box in the upper left-hand corner of this screen.
Colleen Kristl Pauwels was born in Chicago, Illinois, on January 26, 1946. Her family moved to Washington, Indiana before settling in the Mishawaka/South Bend area, where she attended primary and secondary school. Pauwels was an exceptional athlete in high school, particularly in swimming, and won the Indiana state breaststroke championship. After high school, she attended Barat College, where she received her B.A. in 1968. Married in 1971, she came to Bloomington when her husband entered graduate school. She soon got a job working in the government documents department at the university library. Shortly thereafter, she began taking classes at the School of Library and Information Science. She received her M.L.S. from IU in 1975 and soon after accepted an appointment as Public Services Librarian at the Indiana University Law Library.
Pauwels was named Acting Director of the Law Library in 1978 and ultimately became the Director (1983). She received her J.D. from the Indiana University School of Law in 1986. Pauwels was the Director of the Law Library for more than 30 years. During those years, she transformed the library from a facility that struggled to meet the basic needs of its patrons, to one that was named the country’s “Best Law Library” in 2004. Her leadership oversaw the expansion of the physical facilities, the collection, the technology, and the staff. At the same time, she became the school’s unofficial historian and published several articles on the history of the Law School.
Pauwels was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2013. She retired in 2011 and died April 24, 2013 at the age of 67.
Craig M. Bradley was born in Downers Grove, Illinois, on December 5, 1945. He received his undergraduate degree (A.B.) from the University of North Carolina in 1967 and his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1970. After law school, Bradley spent close to a decade working in Washington D.C. He spent two years working in the criminal division of the United States Department of Justice before serving as an Assistant U.S. Attorney (1972-75). In 1975 he clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist, and then returned to the Department of Justice as a Senior Trial Attorney in the Public Integrity Section (1976-78). Prior to coming to IU, in 1979, Bradley was a visiting professor at the University of North Carolina School Of Law.
As a scholar, Bradley specialized in Criminal Procedure, Federal Criminal Law, and Comparative Criminal Procedure. In addition to writing several books and dozens of law review articles, Bradley wrote a much-anticipated bimonthly column on Supreme Court criminal procedure cases for Trial magazine, the publication of the American Association of Trial Lawyers.
Bradley was the law school’s first Louis Calamaras Professor Law, and was later named the Robert A. Lucas Professor of Law. Professor Bradley died on August 7, 2013.
Pat Baude was born on April 7, 1943 in Independence, Kansas. He grew up in Topeka. He received his B.A. (1964) in economics and history and his J.D. (1966) from the University of Kansas, where he graduated first in his class and was editor-in-chief of the Kansas Law Review. Following graduation, he joined Foley & Lardner in Milwaukee. After 18 months of law practice, Baude accepted a graduate fellowship at Harvard Law School, where he received an LL.M in International Law (1968). He then decided to pursue a career in academia, and joined the Indiana University School of Law faculty in 1968. Although he retired in 2008, he continued to teach up to the time of his death in 2011.
Baude won numerous awards for his teaching, including the university’s Ulysses G. Weatherly Distinguished Teaching Award in 1973, the Law School’s Gavel Award in 1980 and 2011, the Wallace Teaching Award in 1990, the Trustees Teaching Award in 1997, and the Law School’s lifetime teaching award in 2008. From 2001, until his death, Baude held the Ralph F. Fuchs Professorship of Law and Public Service.
When, in 1970, a young Indiana University student was arrested during a campus Vietnam War protest, just a few hundred feet from the law school, Baude and his colleague Tom Schornhorst, quickly took up the case. It went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, with Baude and Schornhorst winning the reversal of their client’s conviction. That case – Hess v. Indiana (414 U.S. 105) – is still taught in law schools today, including at Maurer. It is hard to imagine a better legacy for a professor of law.
An active scholar, Baude contributed articles and book chapters on a wide range of topics. His book, Judicial Jurisdiction: A Reference Guide to the United States Constitution examined the relationship between the power of constitutional review and the rule of law in the United States. In addition to his scholarly writings, Baude wrote a monthly wine column in Bloom Magazine. A collection of his wine related writings was published as: The Wit & Wisdom of Patrick Baude: Exploring the Good Life in Bloomington (Charleston, SC: American Palate, 2012)
Leonard Dennis Fromm was born in Harlan Iowa in 1942. He received his B.A. from Conception College (1965) and his M.A in counseling psychology from Marquette University (1967). He also studied math and engineering at Creighton University before earning his J.D. from the University of Wisconsin (1977). He joined the Indiana University School of Law in 1979 as its Director for Student Affairs and ultimately became the Associate Dean of Students and Alumni Affairs.
In his 33 years at the Law School, Fromm advised and assisted students with every conceivable issue a student can face. It is estimated that he interacted with nearly 6,000 students, or 60% of the school’s alumni, and stayed in touch with a staggering number of them after graduation. His compassion and dedication to the students and alumni of the Law School was legendary.
Fromm received the school’s Gavel Award for outstanding contribution to the graduating class five times. The school’s Public Interest Award is named in his honor. He was inducted into the Law School's Academy of Alumni Fellows in 2015. Len Fromm died in 2013.
Frederick Thomas Schornhorst (Tom) was born in Waverly, Iowa, on November 18th, 1934. Shornhorst served as a pilot in the United States Navy and graduated from the George Washington School of Law in 1963. After spending three years in private practice in Washington, D.C., he joined the faculty of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law in 1966.
Schornhorst quickly developed a reputation for a stern but inspiring teaching methodology. He was known for his unique “fire in the belly” style of teaching that could be intimidating, but inspire in students a sense of passion for those wronged by the justice system, or worse yet, those who never had a voice in the process at all. Schornhorst retired from the Maurer faculty in 1998, but returned regularly to work on pro bono cases. Former Dean and Roscoe C. O’Byrne Professor of Law Fred Aman called Schornhorst “a great and revered teacher who instilled a deep sense of professionalism and compassion in students. Compassion in the sense of realizing there were lots of people who needed representation who might not get it at a high level, and professionalism in the sense he was a strict task master. Students knew they really had to be on their best game with him.”
In 1970, a young Indiana University student was arrested during a campus Vietnam War protest, just a few hundred feet from the law school. Schornhorst and colleague Pat Baude — another legend from the Law School faculty — quickly took up the case. It went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, and Schornhorst and Baude won the reversal of their client’s conviction. That case – Hess v. Indiana (414 U.S. 105) – is still taught in law schools today, including at Maurer. It is hard to imagine a better legacy for a professor of law.
Upon his retirement, Schornhorst not only continued to work on pro bono cases, but also joined (in 2008) the faculty of the University of Mississippi School Of Law. He died in Oxford, Mississippi, on March 30th, 2015.
Dan Whitaker Hopson was born on September 23, 1930 in Phillipsburg, Kansas. He grew up in Phillipsburg, and then enrolled at the University of Kansas. He earned both his A.B (1951) and his LL.B. (1953) from the University of Kansas. He then attended Yale University, receiving his LL.M. in 1954. During the 1954-1955 academic year, he was a Rotary Fellow at Cambridge University in Cambridge, England. Returning to the U.S., he joined the faculty of the University of Kansas Law School. During his tenure at Kansas, he was the Assistant Dean from 1957 to 1959. In 1967, he joined the faculty at the Indiana University, Bloomington School of Law. He spent the next 13 years at Indiana, including time as the Associate Dean of Faculties and as Director of the Center for the Study of Legal Policy Relating to Children. In 1980, he left Indiana to become the Dean and Professor of Law at the Southern Illinois University School of Law.
Professor Hopson was just the second individual to serve as Dean at Southern Illinois School of Law. During his time as Dean, the Law School moved into a new building and increased the faculty size. Professor Hopson’s research interests included family law, with a special interest in juvenile law. During the final year of his life, he worked to examine over 65 bills in the Illinois Legislature related to juvenile law, making comments and recommendations. He also worked on the proposed recodification of the Illinois Juvenile Justice Act. In addition, he was a proud member of the Sons of the American Revolution, having proven his descent from Revolutionary War soldier Alverius Hopson.
Dan Hopson died of cancer on June 16, 1985 in St. Louis, Missouri.
Alfred William Meyer was born on November 19, 1927 in Valparaiso, Indiana. He was raised on the campus of Valparaiso University where he father was a legendary faculty member and chair of the Geography Department. After graduating from high school in 1944, Meyer served in the Navy. After the war he returned to Valparaiso and received his undergraduate degree from VU followed in 1950 by his J.D. degree from the VU Law School. He received an LL.M. degree from Harvard in 1951 and was a Cardozo fellow at the Columbia University School of Law. During the Korean War, Meyer served stateside in the Army as a Judge Advocate General.
Meyer joined the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law in 1956. He remained in Bloomington until 1963 when he returned to his beloved Valparaiso University to join the faculty of the Law School. He remained at VU until his retirement in 1994, serving as Dean multiple times. Upon his retirement, Indiana Governor Evan Bayh presented Meyer with the state’s highest individual honor naming him a Sagamore of the Wabash. Alfred Meyer died on January 28th, 2007.
Betty Virginia LeBus was born in Bremerton, Washington on May 8, 1923. She attended the University of Washington in Seattle, where she received a B.S. in 1947, an LL.B. in 1948, and a B.A. in Library Science in 1949. She was one of the first graduates of the prestigious Law Librarian Program at the University of Washington.
Following graduation from law school, she was admitted to the bar in the State of Washington, and after receiving her library science degree, she served as assistant librarian at the University of Washington from 1948 to 1950.
In 1950, she accepted the position of Instructor of Law and Law Librarian at Indiana University, the only women then on the law faculty. In addition to being the administrator of the Law Library, she taught Legal Bibliography to all law students. She was instrumental in the planning of the Law Building completed in 1956, serving as the Law School's project manager throughout the planning and construction of the facility. In 1957, Indiana University granted her tenure, and in 1977, she was promoted to full Professor of Law. She was the first woman in the Law School to receive tenure and to hold professorial rank.
Betty LeBus was active in numerous law and library organizations, national, regional and local. She was active in the American Association of Law Libraries for over thirty years, serving on numerous committees and on the Executive Board from 1969 to 1972. She served for many years as a Law School Site Evaluator for the American Bar Association, Section of Legal Education and Admission to the Bar. In 1995, the Washington Bar Association made her an honorary life member.
A longtime leader of the Indiana Library Association, she was elected president in 1961, and was the chairperson of the Library Planning Committee and the Constitution and By-Laws Committee. She represented the ILA, serving as Indiana's Conference Chairman in coordinated activities with the Kentucky Library Association. In 1964, the Indiana Library Trustee Association named her the Librarian of the Year.
During her time as Law Librarian, the IU Law Library collection grew from 57,000 volumes to 194,000 volumes and the staff grew from two to nine full-time and over 30 student assistants. In 1977, the Law Library was one of the first in the country to introduce the faculty and students to computerized legal research.
After 28 years in 1978, she resigned her position at Indiana University and returned to Seattle to be with her elderly mother. She completed her career as Law Librarian first at the University of Wyoming and then at the University of Miami. Upon her retirement in 1984, she returned to Bloomington to reside in the Meadowood Retirement Community.
Betty LeBus died in Bloomington on August 24, 2003.
[Adapted from Betty Virginia LeBus obituary, published in the Bloomington Herald-Times on August 26, 2003.]
William White Oliver was born in Hazard, Kentucky, on October 6, 1921. After serving in the Army Air Corp during World War II, he attended the University of Kentucky where he received his A. B. degree in 1946. He then attended Northwestern University where he received his J.D. in 1949. He briefly worked as an instructor at Northwestern, before working as a trial lawyer for the Bureau of Internal Revenue for two years. He then served as law clerk to Chief Justice of the United States Fred Vinson in 1952-53 and to Chief Justice Earl Warren during the following term.
In 1954 he joined the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law and remained there until retiring in 1992. The recipient of the Law School's Gavel Award in 1960 and the Herman Frederic Lieber Award for Teaching in 1963, Professor Oliver taught for almost 40 years, influencing generations of law students.
In addition to his scholarly and teaching achievements, Oliver founded Oliver Winery, a nationally known winery based in Bloomington. Following his retirement, he was of counsel with the Bloomington law firm Mallor Clendening Grodner & Bohrer until his death in 2011. In 2003, Barton L. Kaufman, LLB '65, endowed the William W. Oliver Professorship.
Monrad Gotke Paulsen was born on June 1, 1918 in Clinton, Iowa. He attended the University of Chicago, receiving his A.B. in 1940 and his J.D. in 1942. He practiced law in Chicago, and then began his teaching career at the University of Utah. In 1947, he joined the faculty of Indiana University, Bloomington, where he would stay until 1951. He left Bloomington to teach at the University of Minnesota, and in 1956, he joined the faculty of Columbia University. In 1968, he became the first outside dean at the University of Virginia.
In 1975, Yeshiva University in New York decided to establish a new law school, named for former U.S. Supreme Court justice Benjamin N. Cardozo. Yeshiva asked Dean Paulsen to become the founding dean for the new law school. Classes began in September 1976, with the publication In the Spirit of Cardozo: The Founding of the Law School saying “On the School’s first day, he stood watch in the lobby, nervously waiting for students to show up.” The publication goes on to describe Dean Paulsen as “Charming, gregarious, lovable, and brilliant are among the adjectives used to describe the founding dean.” Paulsen was Cardozo’s “Great Dane,” which was “a word play on Paulsen’s outsized physique, lofty professional stature, and Nordic roots.” Former Yeshiva University President Norman Lamm said that Paulsen “was an elder in the Lutheran Church and a man with very broad vision who understood the relation of a great law school to a great Jewish university.”
Monrad Paulsen died in New York City on November 2, 1980. Glowing tributes appeared in both the Virginia Law Journal and the Cardozo Law Review, and Cardozo established the Monrad Paulsen Scholarship. The School’s website states: “The Monrad Paulsen Scholarship, named after Cardozo’s esteemed first dean, is the most prestigious and highly selective scholarship at Cardozo. It offers guaranteed three-year full-tuition awards to entering students with exemplary academic credentials who are nominated by the Admissions Committee.”
John Paul Frank was born on November 10, 1917 in Appleton, Wisconsin. He attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison, receiving his B.A. in 1938 and his M.A. and LL.B. in 1940. After graduation, he served as the law clerk for U.S. Supreme Court justice Hugo L. Black, cultivating a friendship that would last until Black’s death in 1971. Frank spent the remainder of World War II in Washington D.C. as the assistant to the Secretary of the Interior and an assistant to the U.S. Attorney General. He received his S.J.D. from Yale in 1946 and he joined the faculty of the Indiana University, Bloomington School of Law. In 1949, he published Mr. Justice Black: the Man and His Opinions, and he joined the faculty at the Yale Law School. In 1954, he left academia and returned to the private practice of law with the Phoenix, Arizona law firm of Lewis and Roca. He would remain with Lewis and Roca until his death in 2002.
John Frank was a prolific author. In addition to Mr. Justice Black, he also wrote Inside Justice Hugo L. Black: the Letters (published in 2000) which contained the correspondence he had with Justice Black from 1946 to 1971. Other books included Marble Palace: The Supreme Court in American Life (1958); Lincoln as a Lawyer (1961); The Warren Court (1964); Justice Daniel Dissenting: a Biography of Peter V. Daniel, 1784-1860 (1964); and Clement Haynsworth, the Senate and the Supreme Court (1991).
As an attorney, Frank contributed to two very significant U.S. Supreme Court cases. In 1954, he advised Thurgood Marshall before his appearance before the Court to argue Brown vs. Board of Education, which declared school segregation unconstitutional. In 1966, he represented Ernesto Miranda in his case, Miranda v. Arizona, which established police procedures for handling criminal suspects. This case gave rise to the “Miranda rights” that police recite to arrested individuals. He also took up several political causes during his life, including seeking the desegregation of law schools in the 1950’s; opposing the nomination of Robert Bork to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1987; and advising Anita Hill in her testimony in 1991 against U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas.
John Paul Frank died on September 7, 2002 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Ivan Cate Rutledge was born in White Pine, Tennessee, on December 24, 1915. Ivan was the half-brother of Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court (1943-1949), Wiley Blount Rutledge, Jr. Coincidently, Wiley Blount Rutledge attended, but did not graduate from, the Indiana University School of Law. Ivan received his A.B. from Carson-Newman College (1934), an A.M. (1940) and a LL.B. (1946) from Duke University. He later received a LL.M. from the Columbia University School of Law (1952).
Ivan Rutledge’s teaching career began at the Mercer University School of Law (1946-47), followed by eight years at the University of Washington School of Law (1947-55). He then joined the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law, where he taught until 1963. He left Indiana to join the faculty of the Ohio State College of Law. He served as Dean of the OSU College of Law from 1965 to 1970, and retired in 1979. After retiring, Rutledge once again joined the faculty of the Mercer University School of Law, before retiring for a second time in 1986. Ivan Cate Rutledge died on January 30, 2000.
William Howard Mann was born on the family farm in Alexis, Illinois, in 1910 and graduated from Alexis Community High School. He attend college twenty miles away at Monmouth College, receiving his A.B. degree in 1932. He then studied economics at the University of Iowa and taught accounting for three years (1934-37) at Parsons College and the University of Alabama (1937-38). He then enrolled at the University of Iowa College of Law, where he received his JD degree in 1941, magna cum laude, and as editor-in-chief of the Iowa Law Review.
Mann clerked for Circuit Judge Wiley B. Rutledge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia (1941-43), before serving in the Navy for two years. He then clerked for Justice Harold H. Burton of the U.S. Supreme Court (1945-46). In 1946, he joined the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law where he became a professor of constitutional law. In 1965, he served as a visiting Fulbright research professor to the Supreme Court of India. Mann’s brother, John Keith Mann, attended the I.U. law school while William Howard Mann was a member of the faculty. Both had distinguished careers as law professors. In 1967, William Howard Mann joined the faculty of the law school at the State University of New York at Buffalo. He retired in 1985 and moved to Missoula, Montana in 1993. Mann died, at the age of 87, in 1998.
F. Reed Dickerson was born in Chicago, Illinois, on November 11, 1909. He received his undergraduate degree (A.B.) from Williams College in 1931. He received his LL.B. from the Harvard Law School in 1934. Dickerson also earned a Masters of Law (1939) and a Doctor of Juridical Science (1950) from Columbia University. He practiced law in Boston and Chicago before teaching at the law schools of Washington University (1939-40) and the University of Pittsburgh (1940-42). During World War II, Dickerson became an attorney with the Office of Price Administration (1942-47) and then joined the Office of the Legislative Counsel of the U.S. House of Representatives (1947-49). He finished his employment in the federal government by serving as the Deputy Assistant General Counsel of the U. S. Department of Defense (1949-1958). For his defense related work, Dickerson received the Distinguished Civilian Service Award, the highest honor given by the military to a civilian.
In 1958 Dickerson joined the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law. While concentrating on his special areas of interest – legislation, legal drafting, and products liability, Professor Dickerson developed a reputation as an international expert in the field of legislative writing. A prolific author, Dickerson came to be known at the “dean of American Legislative Drafting” following the publication of such seminal works as The Fundamentals of Legal Drafting (1965), The Interpretation and Application of Statutes and Cases (1975), and Materials on Legislation (1981). In addition to his teaching and research, Professor Dickerson spent 22 years as an Indiana delegate to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, making a major contribution to the substance and drafting of uniform laws. He was often called upon to lend his expertise to foreign governments as well and enjoyed a long-lasting relationship with the UK Parliamentary Counsel Office.
Another area of interest for Dickerson was “his first love and avocation” – music. Although he gave up any ideas of making a living playing music when he entered law school, Dickerson continued to play trumpet and could often be found playing with a group of IU professors known as the “Faculty Five.” Being Dickerson, he also wrote jazz related articles for such publications as, Harpers, Esquire, and Downbeat.
While Professor Dickerson formally retired in 1980, he continued teaching and frequently traveled for speaking and consulting engagements for many years. Reed Dickerson died on June 9, 1991 in Bloomington, Indiana.