Graduates of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law achieve greatness. Whether practicing law in a small family firm, an international firm with offices around the globe, a start-up tech company, or any number of other settings in and outside the field of law, our graduates make a difference. The graduates listed here are examples of people who have gone the extra mile, not just excelling in their workplace or community, but by leaving their mark on the larger national and international environment.
Arrangement is by year of birth. To search for a specific notable alumni, use the search box in the upper left-hand corner of this screen.
John Leslie Duvall was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, on February 23, 1924. He graduated from Broad Ripple High School (1942), before enrolling at Butler University in the fall of 1942. While he would ultimately receive his A.B. degree from Butler (1948), he also attended the University of Maryland and the Citadel Military Academy as part of the U.S Army’s Army Specialized Training Program during WW II. After his discharge from the Army, he returned to Indiana, finished his studies at Butler, and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law. He received his LL.B. degree in 1949.
After law school, Duvall entered practice at his father’s Indianapolis law firm. He eventually became a partner in the firm of in Duvall, Bell, Babcock and Payne. Duvall became involved in Indiana Republican politics in the 1950s, serving as Chairman of the eleventh district Young Republicans in 1953-54 and then Chair of the state Young Republican in 1957-58. He served as a precinct committeeman and held numerous party campaign positions. In 1967, he was elected to the Indiana Senate and remained a state Senator until 1985. Duvall chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee for a dozen years and authored and then secured legislative approval of a new criminal code and sentencing structure.
In 1985 he was appointed to the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission and from 1986 to 1989, he served as the Chair of the Commission. In 1995, he came out of retirement to practice with the Indianapolis firm of Lewis & Kappes. John Leslie Duvall was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2004.
Born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on July 16, 1924, Phil McClellan McNagny, Jr. was born into a family of Hoosier lawyers. McNagny’s father and grandfather were attorneys and ultimately his brother (William F. McNagny) and his wife (Patricia Gates) would become attorneys. Phil McNagny graduated from Fort Wayne’s North Side High School in 1942. He attended the University of the South (1942/43), before serving two years in the U.S. Marines. Upon his discharge, he attended the University of Virginia for two year before enrolling at the Indiana University School of Law. He received his LL. B. from Indiana in 1950.
After receiving his law degree, McNagny practiced in the northern Indiana town of Angola for a few months, before joining his father-in-law's Columbia City firm Gates & Gates. From 1953 until 1959, McNagny served as U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Indiana. McNagny's wife, Patricia, joined the firm, then known as Gates Gates & McNagny, in 1969. In 1975, President Gerald Ford nominated McNagny to serve on the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana. He served on the court until his death on March 28, 1981.
Frederick Eugene Rakestraw was born in Lima, Ohio, on August 29, 1923. He attended public schools in Lima and was on the Ohio state championship debate team in high school. He attended Manchester College for two years before being called for military duty. Returning home from the war in 1946 he completed his undergraduate studies in Indiana University (B.A. 1947) and then received his law degree from Indiana in 1949. He then entered into private practice in Akron, where he joined a firm operated by William Deniston (IU Law, 1937).
In 1954 Rakestraw was elected Circuit Court Judge in Fulton County, the first Democrat elected to any position in that county in eighteen years. He was reelected in in 1960 and served in the position until 1965. In 1965, when Justice Frederick Landis Jr. resigned from the Indiana Supreme Court, Rakestraw was appointed to fill out his term. Although he served on the court for only 360 days (he lost the election in 1966), he served six of his twelve months on the court as Chief Justice, due to the regular rotation of that office.
At the age of 43, Rakestraw returned to private practice, joining into partnership with Albert and Eugene Chipman in Rochester, Indiana, and later a firm with Jesse and Lawrence Brown. In 1999 he was the recipient of the Indiana State Bar Association’s Golden Career Award. He died in 2004 and is buried at the Rochester I.O.O.F. Cemetery. The Fulton County Community Foundation annually gives scholarships in his name to students attending law school.
Karl Edwin Applegate was born in Cicero, Indiana, on July 21, 1923. He was raised in Pulaski County and graduated from Winamac High School in 1941. That fall he enrolled at Indiana University, but with the outbreak of the war, he soon found himself serving in the Army Infantry. Injured in France, he returned to Indiana to complete his undergraduate degree in business management (1946). Applegate then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law and received his L.L.B. degree in 1948.
Applegate spent his entire legal career in Bloomington, opening his first law firm in 1949 and retiring from his last in 2011. In addition to his law practice, Applegate served as U. S. Commissioner, Southern District of Indiana from 1950 until 1958. He was Deputy Prosecutor for Monroe County (1958-59) and Municipal Judge for Bloomington (1960-63). In 1965, he was elected State Representative to the Indiana General Assembly. In 1967, President Lyndon Johnson appointed him as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, a position he held until 1970.
K. Edwin Applegate was an active civic leader and received numerous awards for his efforts. Included among the awards was the Indiana Outstanding Government and Civic Service Award (1992) and the Indiana Bar Foundation’s Distinguished Service Award for 50 years of service (1999). Karl Edwin Applegate was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2011. Applegate died on July 9, 2011 at the age of 87.
Warren Everett McGill was born in the tiny Clay County (Indiana) town of Center Point on September 10, 1923. Upon graduating from Center Point’s Sugar Ridge Township High School, in 1941, he enrolled at Indiana University. He graduated from Indiana with a B.S. in Business Law in 1944. McGill actually began taking law school classes at the Indiana University School of Law before he received his undergraduate degree. He received his LL.B. degree from the law school in 1945.
McGill's law career began with the South Bend, Indiana, law firm of Seebirt, Oare & Deahl (Barnes and Thornburg). He became a Partner in 1960 and retired in 1989. McGill primarily practiced in two areas: estate planning and corporate-tax-probate-finance law. McGill served as the Chairman of the Indiana Probate Code Study Commission from 1972 until 1990. As Chair of the Indiana Bar Foundation's Projects Committee, in the early 1980s, McGill was tasked with improving the dissemination of legal information to the rapidly rising older adult population. The result was the production of the IBFs Legal Reference for Older Hoosier. The book went through multiple editions, over the next twenty years, and became a standard source on the topic of elder law in Indiana. McGill was a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, the American Bar Foundation, and the Indiana Bar Foundation. McGill also served as a Chancellor’s Associate for Indiana University South Bend.
Warren Everett McGill was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1993. McGill died in 2000 at the age of 76.
John Leo Carroll was born in Chicago, Illinois, on April 6, 1922. He grew up in Hammond, Indiana, and graduated from Hammond High School (1940). Upon his high school graduation, he began his undergraduate studies at Purdue University, before transferring to Indiana University (B.A. 1946). In 1943, he entered the U.S. Army, serving as a combat infantryman and earning the Bronze Star and the Combat Infantry Badge for exceptional valor in battle. Carroll returned from the war in 1945 and enrolled in the Indiana University School of Law. He graduated, Order of the Coif, in 1948.
After law school, Carroll began his legal career in Evansville, where he became an associate with the firm of Walker and Walker. In 1952, he and Edwin Johnson formed the firm that became Johnson Carroll Norton, Kent & Goedde, P.C. Carroll served as the President of the Indiana State Bar Association (1983-84), as President of the Evansville Bar Association (1969-70), as President of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, and as a fellow of the American and Indiana Bar Foundations. He was a delegate to the American Bar Association’s efforts to support law reform in the Ukraine, traveling to Eastern Europe to assist Ukrainian lawyers in their efforts to convert to a free-market legal system. Carroll served as Indiana University School of Law’s first “practitioner-in-residence” and was a member of the school’s Board of Visitors from 1981 to 1985.
Carroll was named a Sagamore of the Wabash by Indiana Governor Rober Orr in 1988, and was also named a Kentucky Colonel by the state of Kentucky. He was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1995.
John Leo Carroll died in Sarasota, Florida, at the age of 97 in 2019.
Robert Anthony Lucas was born in Gary, Indiana, on February 7, 1922. He graduated from Gary’s Horace Mann High School in 1939 and then enrolled at Indiana University. Lucas served as Class President his senior year and received his B.S., with distinction, from IU in 1943. After college, he joined the war effort, serving in the United States Army and rising to the rank of captain.
Lucas returned to Indiana after the war and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law in the fall of 1946. While in law school he served on the Student Board of the Indiana Law Journal (v.23 and 24), was elected to the Order of the Coif, and received his JD, with high distinction, in 1949. After law school, Lucas clerked for Judge H. Nathan Swain of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. He then opened a small firm in his hometown of Gary, specializing in probate law and estate planning. Over the next 40 years, Lucas, Holcomb & Medrea would grow to become one of the most respected firms in the state.
A leader in the legal community, Lucas served on the Board of Managers of the Indiana Bar Association and was a long time member of the Federal Judiciary. He was a member of the state’s Probate Study Commission that revised the Indiana Probate Code to reflect contemporary needs. He also served as a member of the Commission on Uniform State Laws
A dedicated alumni, Lucas served Indiana University, and the law school, in enumerable ways. He served as President of both the IU Alumni Association and the law school’s Alumni Association. He was elected to the IU Board of Trustees in 1967 and served as Vice President of the Board from 1969 to 1970. In 1970, he was elected to the Board of Directors of the Indiana University Foundation, serving in that position for more than ten years. In 1971, Lucas was appointed to the Indiana Higher Education Commission. Lucas received the University Distinguished Alumni Service award in 1982 and the IU Northwest Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1983. In 1988, Lucas was inducted into the law school’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows and was presented an honorary doctor of laws degree in 1994. Lucas established an endowed professorship for the Law School in 1992.
Robert A. Lucas died on March 10, 1999.
William Forgy McNagny was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on January 21, 1922. McNagny graduated from the Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana, before enrolling at Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania. After two years at Swarthmore, McNagny left to serve as an officer in the US Army. He was discharged in 1945, returned to Indiana, and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law. McNagny received his LL.B. degree, with high distinction, membership in the Order of the Coif, first in his class, in 1947.
After law school, McNagny returned to his hometown and began to practice in the firm that would become Barrett and McNagny. McNagny career at the firm would last more than 50 years as he gained a reputation as a successful and tenacious trial lawyer. His firm called him “a commanding presence in the courtroom, a pillar of the legal profession, and a man devoted to his community and his family.” He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Diplomat of the Indiana Defense Trial Counsels, and a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. McNagny served as Fort Wayne's city attorney from 1952 until 1960. For many years, he served on the Indiana State Board of Law Examiners and was a past president of the group. In 1991, he received the Ralph E. Broyles Medal for "unique and significant contributions" to Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, and in 1992 he was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows. In 2009, William F. McNagny was named a “Legendary Lawyer” by the Indiana Bar Foundation.
James Ellsworth Noland was born in LaGrange, Missouri, in 1920. Raised in a farming family struggling to survive, the family moved around throughout the 1920s, with stops in Roachdale, Indiana (1923), Spencer, Indiana (1926), and finally Bloomington (1934). Nolan’s father set up practice as a dentist while his son excelled at Bloomington High School. In 1938 he entered Indiana University and landed a job in the campus bookstore and later managed the men’s lounge in the student union. As part of a three year pre-law curriculum, Judge Noland majored in government with a minor in journalism. He began law school in 1941. When World War II broke out, Nolan was accepted into a reserve officers training program offered by the Harvard Graduate Business School. Noland completed the course as part of the last class to receive a full master’s degree before entering the service in World War II, while also mastering the requirements to be a quartermaster.
After the war Nolan ran unsuccessfully for Congress in Indiana’s 7th district. He then decided to return to Law School from where he graduated in August of 1948. Three months later he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives as one of its youngest members. Sworn into the Indiana bar on December 7, 1948, he went, as he put it, “from law school direct to the United States Congress.” Nolan was defeated at his first re-election attempt in 1950, and opened a private practice in Indianapolis and stayed involved in state politics. During the 1950s and 60s he served in various city/state positions, including Indianapolis Assistant City Attorney, Assistant State Attorney General, and State Election Commissioner.
In 1966 he was appointed to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana by President Lyndon B. Johnson. He was named Chief Judge in 1984 and served in that capacity until 1986 when he took senior status. He died in Indianapolis in 1992 and is interned in that city's Crown Hill Cemetery.
Jesse E. Eschbach was born on October 26, 1920 in Warsaw, Kosciusko County, Indiana. He attended school in Warsaw, and then enrolled at Indiana University, receiving his degree from the School of Business in 1943. He then enlisted in the U.S. Navy, serving for two years as a Gunnery and Executive Officer on a minesweeper. Following his discharge, he enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law at Bloomington, receiving his J.D. in 1949. He was President of his class and he was elected to the Order of the Coif. He also served on the editorial staff for the Indiana Law Journal. After graduation he returned home to Warsaw and began his legal and business career. He practiced law for 13 years, and was President of both the Warsaw Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club. In 1959 and 1960 he served on the Labor Relations Committee of the United States Chamber of Commerce.
In March 1962, President John Kennedy nominated Eschbach to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana. He was swiftly confirmed by the U.S. Senate, serving for nearly 20 years on bench, including seven years as chief judge. In October 1981, President Ronald Reagan nominated him to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Eschbach served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the remainder of his life, assuming senior status in November 1985. Judge Eschbach served his alma mater as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1965 to 1970, and also by serving on the Law School’s Board of Visitors.
Judge Eschbach died in Florida on October 25, 2005. He was interred at the Oakwood Cemetery in Warsaw, Indiana.
Jesse Eschbach was honored by Indiana University with the Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1984. He was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1985, and he received an honorary LL.D. degree from Indiana University in 1986.
J. Edward Roush was born on September 12, 1920 in Barnsdall, Osage County, Oklahoma. He graduated from Huntington High School, Huntington, Indiana in 1938. He then enrolled in Huntington College, receiving his A.B. in 1942. After graduation he enlisted in the U.S. Army, serving as a combat infantry officer in Europe, including being in the Battle of the Bulge. His unit was cutoff and surrounded by the Germans for five days. Roush was not wounded, but he did suffer frostbite in both feet requiring a four-month hospitalization. Roush received a Bronze Star for his actions, and then he was discharged from active duty in 1946 (he continued to serve in the Reserves). He enrolled in the Indiana University, Bloomington School of Law, earning his LL.B. in 1949.
In 1948, he ran for and was elected to the Indiana House of Representatives. A candidate for reelection, he had to withdraw in 1950 when he was recalled to active duty during the Korean War. In 1954 he was elected Huntington County prosecutor, and then in 1958 he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. He was reelected four times, but then lost in 1968 when his district was redrawn by the General Assembly. In 1970, he ran again and was elected. He was reelected two more times, and then was defeated for reelection in 1976 by Dan Quayle. Roush returned to Huntington to resume his law practice.
Roush’s tenure in Congress was noted for his votes safeguarding natural resources including preserving the Indiana Dunes and authoring legislation to create three different reservoirs in north-central Indiana. He supported the national legislation sponsored by presidents Kennedy and Johnson, including civil rights legislation. During his second tenure he continued to support environmental legislation, and supported ending the Vietnam War. He also was responsible for establishing the 911 emergency telephone number.
J. Edward Roush died on March 26, 2004 in Huntington, Indiana. He was interred at Pilgrim’s Rest Cemetery in Huntington. In 1996 he was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows. In 1997 Huntington Lake (one of the reservoirs he authored legislation to create) was renamed J. Edward Roush Lake.
John Woodburn Houghton was born in Vincennes, Indiana, on March 30, 1920. After graduating from Huntington High School in Huntington, Indiana, Houghton attended Huntington College for his first year of college. He then transferred to Indiana University, where he graduated with an A.B. degree in 1941. Next, he enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law and received his L.L.B. degree, with distinction, in December of 1942. In law school, Houghton was President of the IU Law Club, a member of Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity, and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Indiana Law Journal (v.18).
After law school, Houghton joined the Indianapolis firm Barnes, Hickam, Pantzer & Boyd. He remained at the firm until 1999, serving as a partner for 36 years. He specialized in litigation and probate law and headed the firm’s litigation department from 1980 to 1987. Houghton served as President of the Lawyers Association of Indianapolis from 1952 to 1953, the Indianapolis Legal Aid Society in 1959, and the Indianapolis Bar Association in 1961. He was the General Chairman of the Indiana Bar Association’s House of Delegates in 1970-71. In 1993, he received the 50-Year Award from the Indiana State Bar Association.
Houghton served on the Law School’s Board of Visitors from 1975 to 1987, and again from 1994 to 2001, and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1995. John Woodburn Houghton died in 2009 at the age of 89.
Jean Elizabeth (McGrew) Stoffregen was born in Chicago, Illinois, on October 14, 1919. After graduating (1936) from York Community High School, in Elmhurst, Illinois, she enrolled at Indiana University. Stoffregen graduated, Phi Beta Kappa, with an A.B. from I.U. in 1940. Stoffregen joined the Fellowship of Reconciliation, and traveled to Washington to protest WWII in the early 1940s. In 1941, she enrolled at the Law School of the University of Chicago, before transferring to the Indiana University Law School in the summer of 1941. She received her J.D. from the law school in 1942.
Stoffregen began her legal career clerking for Indiana Supreme Court Justice Frank Richman, before working for the Diamond Chain and Manufacturing Company in Indianapolis. In 1947, Judge Richman, who had been appointed Judge of the American Military Tribunal, in Nuremberg, Germany, asked Stoffregen if she would assist him. Stoffregen became one of the few women to work on the trials. Additionally, she traveled throughout the wore-torn European continent, assisting residents displaced by the war with emigration documentation and processing. Upon her return to the U.S., she continued her humanitarian efforts to assist refugees and immigrants in their efforts to rebuild their lives.
After her marriage to David Stoffregen, in 1949, she joined her husband in the practice of Quakerism for the next sixty years, and remained active in causes relating to peace and social justice. While in her 60's she went to graduate school and earned a Master's degree in Social Work. Jean McGrew Stoffregen died on October 4, 2008.
Vance Hartke was born on May 31, 1919 in Stendal, Pike County, Indiana. He attended public schools in Stendal, and then he attended and graduated from Evansville College (now the University of Evansville) in 1940. From 1942 to 1946 he served in the United States Navy and the United States Coast Guard, rising to the rank of lieutenant.
With the conclusion of World War II, Hartke entered the Indiana University School of Law at Bloomington, graduating in 1948. He began his law practice in Evansville. He served as the deputy prosecuting attorney for Vanderburgh County from 1950 to 1951, and then he was elected mayor of Evansville, serving from 1956 to 1958. In 1958 he was elected to the United States Senate, replacing fellow Indiana University Law School alumnus William Jenner who chose to retire.
Hartke served in the United States Senate for 12 years, from 1959 to 1977. He had a liberal voting record, supporting Medicare, Medicaid, and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also supported student loan programs, improved veterans benefits, Head Start, increased access to kidney dialysis, and safety enhancements to automobiles, including the installation of seat belts.
Hartke became an early outspoken critic of the Vietnam War, resulting in a fallout with President Lyndon Johnson after having initially established a strong working relationship with Johnson when he was the Senate Majority Leader. His opposition to the war was not popular in Indiana and he was narrowly reelected in 1970. In 1976, he lost his seat to Indianapolis mayor Richard Lugar.
After he left the Senate, Hartke chose to stay in the Washington D.C. area to practice law. He died on July 27, 2003 in Falls Church, Virginia. He was interred at Arlington National Cemetery.
Juanita Kidd Stout was born on March 7, 1919 in Wewoka, Oklahoma. Both her parents were teachers, and they instilled in her a lifelong habit of study and hard work. She quickly advanced in school, starting college at a Lincoln University in Missouri at the age of 16. She transferred to the University of Iowa, and then returned to Oklahoma to be a music teacher. During World War II, she worked in Washington D.C., taking legal dictation at a law firm. She was so good at this she began to study law. When her husband Charles began work on his doctorate at Indiana University in Bloomington, she entered the Indiana University School of Law. She received her J.D. degree in 1948 and her LL.M. degree in 1954. That same year she and her husband moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and she began her legal career. Within two years, she was appointed to the District Attorney’s office, and then in 1959 she received an interim appointment to the Philadelphia Municipal Court. When the position came up for election two months later, she won easily becoming the first black woman in the United States to win an election to a court of record.
Judge Stout was later appointed to the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, specializing in homicide cases. In 1988 she received an interim appointment to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, becoming the first black woman to serve on a state supreme court. Due to the mandatory retirement age of 70, she stepped down from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in 1989 and she returned to the bench in Philadelphia. She continued to deal firmly but fairly with offenders, giving some a second chance. When the local executive director of the ACLU sent a letter criticizing her to members of the Philadelphia bar (protesting her swift justice), he received so many angry responses he sent a second letter stating “I am sorry that our criticism of Judge Stout has upset you.” When she received death threats in the mail, she responded by pointed out the numerous grammatical and spelling errors.
Judge Stout died on August 21, 1998 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was interred at the Westwood Cemetery in Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma.
Juanita Kidd Stout was inducted into the Oklahoma Women’s Hall of Fame in 1983. In 1986 she was inducted into the Indiana University’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows. In 2012, the Philadelphia Criminal Justice Center was renamed the Justice Juanita Kidd Stout Center for Criminal Justice.
Clarence Benjamin Dutton was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on May 31, 1917. He was raised in Hammond, Indiana, where he graduated from Hammond High School in 1934. He received his B.S., with distinction, from Indiana University in 1938. Prior to receiving his undergraduate degree, he began taking classes at the Indiana University School of Law and ultimately received his LL.B., magna cum laude, in 1940. After graduating from law school Dutton spent a years teaching business law at the I.U. School of Business. He then worked briefly for the E. I. du Pont de Nemours Company (a.k.a. DuPont) in Wilmington, Delaware, before leaving to serve in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
After the war, Dutton returned to Indiana and became a faculty member at the I.U. Law School (1946-1947). In 1947, he entered private practice in Indianapolis, forming the firm of Dutton, Kappes and Overman. The firm flourished and over the years he and his partners earned the confidence of a wide clientele of both individuals and businesses.
Dutton served as President of the Indiana State Bar Association, as a member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, and as Chairman of the ABA Section on General Practice. He was the Director of the American Judicature Society twice, Secretary of the Indiana Civil Code Committee, and was at the center of the re-codification of the Indiana civil code. Dutton was President of both the IU Alumni Association and the School of Law Alumni Association, as well as a long-standing member of the school’s Board of Visitors (1972; 1975-1987; 1994-1998). He was awarded an LL.D., the University’s highest honor, in 1970. Dutton was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1988, and received the University’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1995. In addition, Dutton endowed the C. Ben Dutton Chair in Business Law at the Law School in 1989. Clarence Benjamin Dutton died in Naples, Florida, on November 6, 2004.
Howard Robert Hawkins was born on February 11, 1916, in the tiny Pulaski County community of Star City, Indiana. Raised on his family’s 600-acre farm, Hawkins graduated from Pulaski High School in 1934. After high school, Hawkins enrolled at Indiana University where he received his B.S. degree in 1938. He then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law where he served as a student editor of the Indiana Law Journal (v.15-16). He graduated, Order of the Coif, and received his JD degree in 1941.
From law school, Hawkins joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation. After FBI training in Washington, D.C., Hawkins was sent to the bureau’s New Haven, Connecticut, office. Just as he was settling in to his new life in New Haven, the war broke out. He was immediately sent to New York City where he spent the war years, as a Special Agent in charge of a counter-espionage radio station that communicated with German intelligence. This covert operation was later depicted in the film “The House on 92nd Street,” for which Hawkins served as an advisor.
After the war, Hawkins accepted a position with the RCA Corporation as an assistant general attorney. Over the next 30 years, Hawkins rose through the corporation until he became CEO and Chairman of the Board in 1972. Hawkins oversaw RCA's rise as a global telecommunications giant and was instrumental in the establishment of RCA’s satellite communications network. After leaving RCA, he spent 1980 to 2000 as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of American TransCom, a communications and business ventures consulting firm.
Howard Robert Hawkins received the Indiana University Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1969 and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1994. Although he lived on the east coast his entire adult life, Hawkins continued to manage his family’s Pulaski County farm until 2002. Hawkins died on August 8, 2003 in Greenwich, Connecticut, at the age of 87.
Jeanette (Fichman) Reibman was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on August 18, 1915. After graduating from North Side High School she enrolled at Hunter College in New York City. In 1937, she received her A.B. degree in Political Science, with minors in English and Economics. She then returned to her home state and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law, where she received her L.L.B degree in 1940.
Reibman's legal career began in Washington, D.C., where she accepted a position as an attorney for the War Department and U.S. War Production Board and Tax Amortization. In 1943, she married attorney Nathan L. Reibman and moved to the Easton, Pennsylvania, area to raise a family. Active in her local community for the next 10 years, she entered the world of state politics when she ran for the Pennsylvania General Assembly in 1954. She won the election, only to be defeated for reelection in 1956. Undaunted, she ran again and won in 1958. She went on to serve continuously until 1966, at which time she became the first woman to be elected to the State Senate in Pennsylvania. She was reelected seven times, ultimately retiring in 1994.
Reibman was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Alumni Fellows in 1993. Jeanette F. Reibman died on March 11, 2006, in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
John William Christensen was born in Roselawn, Indiana, on March 14, 1914. After graduating from Hammond High School in 1931, where he was a member of the Indiana All-State Debate Team, he enrolled at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. He graduated from DePauw in 1935 and the studied accounting with the General Electric Corporation. In 1936 he decided accounting wasn’t in his future and enroll at the Indiana University School of Law. While in law school, Christensen served on the student board of the Indiana Law Journal (v. 13 and v.14) and was selected Order of the Coif. He received his J.D. degree in 1939.
After graduation, Christensen served in the Office of General Counsel of the Securities and Exchange Commission, and later as Special Counsel. In 1946, he returned to the Midwest and joined the Columbus, Ohio, firm of Dargusch, Caren, Greek, and King. In 1953, he founded his own firm of Gingher and Christensen. Over the next 52 years, Christensen became one of the leading lawyers in central Ohio, specializing securities, corporate finance and corporation law. In the 1990s he led his partnership into a merger with the larger interstate firm of Baker and Hostetler.
Christensen served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Ohio State University, as a trustee of DePauw University, and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1991. John William Christenson died, at the age of 93, in January 2008.