Graduates of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law achieve greatness. Whether practicing law in a small family firm, an international firm with offices around the globe, a start-up tech company, or any number of other settings in and outside the field of law, our graduates make a difference. The graduates listed here are examples of people who have gone the extra mile, not just excelling in their workplace or community, but by leaving their mark on the larger national and international environment.
Arrangement is by year of birth. To search for a specific notable alumni, use the search box in the upper left-hand corner of this screen.
S. Hugh Dillin was born on June 9, 1914 in Petersburg, Pike County, Indiana to Samuel Edgar Dillin and Maude (Harrell) Dillin. His father was an attorney in Petersburg. Dillin attended Indiana University, receiving his A.B. in 1936 and his LL.B. in 1938. While still a law student, he was elected to the Indiana House of Representatives in 1936. He was reelected in 1938 and 1940. He then served as the Secretary of the Indiana Public Services Commission, resigning in 1943 to enlist in the U.S. Army. He was discharged at the rank of Captain in 1946 and he returned to private practice with his father in Petersburg. He was elected again to the Indiana House of Representatives in 1950, and to the Indiana Senate in 1958.
On September 14, 1961, Dillin was nominated by President John F. Kennedy to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. He was swiftly confirmed by the U.S. Senate, and began his judicial career that would span 45 years on the federal bench.
Judge Dillin was best known for his decisions involving the desegregation of the Indianapolis public schools. He also ordered the desegregation of the Evansville public schools and he ordered the plumbers union to open up journeyman and apprentice programs to qualified African-Americans. He also oversaw the negotiations for claims after the 1963 natural gas explosion at the Indiana State Fairgrounds that killed 74 and injured more than 400 people.
Judge Dillin served as the chief judge for the Southern District of Indiana from 1982 to 1983. He assumed senior status in 1993, which continued until his death. Hugh Dillin died in Cambridge, Massachusetts on March 13, 2006. He was interred at the Walnut Hill Cemetery in Petersburg, Indiana, next to his wife Mary who preceded him in death in 1998.
S. Hugh Dillin was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1987. The law school presented him a LL.D. in 1992, while the Indiana University Alumni Association presented him with their Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1990.
Earl Wilson Kintner was born in the historic town of Corydon, Indiana, on November 6, 1912. He grew up in Princeton, Indiana, where he worked in the farm fields as a boy to help support his family. He graduated from Princeton High School in 1932, and then worked his way through DePauw University as a short-order cook and dishwasher. He received his A.B. degree from DePauw in 1936. Kinter then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law where he received his law degree in 1938.
Kintner spent the next six years in Princeton as City Attorney and then as Prosecuting Attorney, before entering the Navy in 1944. At the war’s end, Kintner served as Deputy United States Commissioner for the United States War Crimes Commission, Co-chairman of the committee reviewing allied war crime matters, and Chairman of the Legal Publications Committee. In 1948, Kintner joined the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in Washington, D.C., as a trial attorney on antimonopoly matters. In 1951, he became a legal advisor to the FTC and served as General Counsel for the Commission from 1953 to 1959. In 1959, President Dwight Eisenhower appointed Kintner to the position of Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission. Under his leadership, the agency issued a record number of complaints and orders aimed at false advertising and other deceptive trade practices. He served as Chairman until 1961, at which time he became a senior partner in the Washington firm of Arnet, Fox, Kintner, Plotkin and Kahn. Kintner established and directed the firm’s antitrust practice. He retired in 1990.
Earl Kintner was the author of numerous books on antitrust and trade regulations including the multivolume classic, Federal Antitrust Law. Kintner was an original member of the law school’s Board of Visitors in 1964, and served on the Board from 1974 to 1986. He was President of the Board in 1983/84. He was awarded the Indiana University Distinguished Alumni Award in 1960 and was inducted into the inagural class of the Indiana University Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1985.
Earl Wilson Kintner died in 1992, at the age of 72, in Washington, D.C.
Frederick Daniel Landis Jr. was born in Logansport, Indiana, in 1912, to a long-line of prominent individuals. His father, Frederick Landis Sr., served in the U.S. Congress, while his uncle was the renowned Kenesaw Mountain Landis, a federal judge and baseball’s first commissioner. Educated in Logansport’s public schools, Landis then attended Wabash College, but ultimately graduated from Indiana University in 1932 (B.A.). He then attended the Indiana University School of Law, where he received his law degree in 1934.
Landis worked in his Logansport law firm from 1935 to 1955, while also holding various local and state positions, including Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the Twenty-ninth Judicial District of Indiana from 1935-1936; Prosecuting Attorney for the Twenty-ninth Judicial District of Indiana from 1938-1940; Member of the Indiana House of Representatives from 1950-1952; Member of the Indiana State Senate from 1952-1955; and ultimately as a Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court from 1955-1965.
In October of 1965, President Lyndon Johnson nominated Landis to serve as a Judge of the United States Customs Court, on which he served until 1980. In November of 1980 he was transferred by operation of law to the newly created United States Court of International Trade. He took senior status in 1983 and died in 1990. Landis is buried in the Mount Hope Cemetery in Logansport.
Harriet Bouslog was born Harriet Anna Williams in Maxville, Florida, on October 21, 1912. At the age of 4, her family moved to Indiana, where she grew up. In 1930 she entered Indiana University, earning both her bachelor’s degree, and in 1936 her LL.B. from the School of Law. She then moved to Massachusetts with her husband Charles Bouslog who was pursuing a graduate degree in English. She was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar and began her legal career. In 1939, Charles accepted a faculty position at the University of Hawaii, and they moved to Honolulu. Harriet had to wait to establish residency in Hawaii in order to take the bar examination, and on December 23, 1941, she became just the eighth woman admitted to the Hawaii Bar.
With the outbreak of World War II in the Pacific, martial law was declared in the Territory of Hawaii, which closed the courts in the territory. To find legal work, Harriet Bouslog moved to Washington D.C. and began working at the National War Labor Board. Through her work she met a number of labor union leaders, including Harry Bridges with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU). She began working for the ILWU and the Committee for Maritime Unity as a lobbyist. In 1946, with the lifting of martial law in Hawaii, the ILWU began to organize sugar and pineapple workers, and Bouslog was asked to return to Hawaii to defend 150 union sugar strikers charged with criminal offenses. This began her legendary career as a labor lawyer in Hawaii, challenging the status quo and defending workers and their rights guarantee by the Bill of Rights and federal labor laws. She also fought against the disproportional imposition of capital punishment against native Hawaiians.
Harriet Bouslog and Charles Bouslog were divorced in 1950. That same year she married Stephen Sawyer. In 1951, she began serving as co-counsel to “Hawaii Seven” defendants charged with conspiracy to violate the Alien Registration Act (popularly known as the Smith Act). One of the seven was her friend and colleague Jack Hall, the International Regional Director of the ILWU. During the trial, Bouslog spoke at an ILWU meeting on the island of Hawaii about the trial. Her speech was reported to the judge for the trial, who then found her in contempt of court and he ordered the Hawaiian Bar Association to investigate. The Territorial Supreme Court suspended her license to practice law for one year. This decision was appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, which upheld the decision of the Hawaii Territorial Supreme Court. This was appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court and on June 29, 1959, the Supreme Court in the case In Re Sawyer reversed the decisions by the Ninth Circuit and the Territorial Supreme Court. The case is still cited as a definitive statement on the free speech rights of attorneys.
Harriet Bouslog once said that her “efforts as an attorney contributed to the great achievements [that] the ILWU accomplished in organizing the workers of Hawaii on the vast sugar and pineapple plantations as well as the longshoremen. The conflict of forces led strikes to improve working and living conditions, and to put pressure on both law and custom effecting the social, civic, and political participation of the great non-white masses in the community life of the islands.” Her colleague and mentor Harry Bridges said when Hawaii was granted statehood that “The bringing of economic democracy to Hawaii through the ILWU and its contributions toward racial equality, as well as toward destroying the old feudal grip on the Islands, was without doubt, an important factor in the achievement of Statehood.”
In 1977, the ILWU Local 142 conferred on Harriet Bouslog the title of Lifetime Honorary Member. In 1989, she and her husband Stephen Sawyer established the Harriet Bouslog Labor Scholarship Fund to benefit the children and grandchildren of the ILWU Local 142 members and retirees. She received the Allan F. Saunders Civil Liberties Award from the American Civil Liberties Union. The Hawaii State Legislature and the Honolulu City Council passed resolutions honoring her work. In 1989, Harriet Bouslog was inducted into the Indiana University Law School's Academy of Law Alumni Fellows.
She continued to practice law until her retirement in December 1978. Harriet Bouslog died on April 18, 1998 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
James Fletcher Thornburg was born in Winchester, Indiana, on August 19, 1911. He graduated from Winchester High School in 1929 and then enrolled at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. At DePauw, he was elected to the Blue Key honor society, was President of Phi Gamma Delta, and served as the editor of the DePauw Magazine. Upon graduation, he headed to Bloomington and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law. While in law school, he served on the Student Board of Editors of the Indiana Law Journal, was admitted to the Order of the Coif, and received his J.D. degree (1933).
Upon receiving his law degree, Thornburg joined the South Bend law firm that would eventually become Barnes & Thornburg. He remained with the firm for more than 55 years. Thornburg was a nationally recognized authority in the fields of estate planning and taxation. He served as a member of the Indiana State Board of Law Examiners, the Advisory Board of the Philip E. Heckerling Institute of Estate Planning, and the White House Advisory Group to the Commissioner of the I.R.S. He also served on the Board of Directors of many public and private companies as well as civic and charitable organizations.
Thornburg received many awards and honors, including the DePauw University Old Gold Award and the Indiana State Bar Association Presidential Citation. He was recipient of the Sagamore of the Wabash (Indiana) as well as a Kentucky Colonel appointment (Kentucky). In 1975, Thornburg received the Indiana University Distinguished Alumni Award. He was an original member of the law school's Board of Visitors (1964) and also served on the board from 1974 to 1986. Thornburg was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1986. James Fletcher Thornburg died in 1998 at the age of 87.
George North Craig was born on August 9, 1909 in Brazil, Clay County, Indiana. He graduated from Brazil High School in 1927, and he then enrolled at the University of Arizona. After two years in Arizona, he returned to Indiana and decided to follow his father into the practice of law. After an interview with the Indiana University School of Law Dean (and future Indiana governor) Paul V. McNutt, Craig was admitted to the Law School. He graduated in 1932 and returned to Clay County to practice law with his father. He developed his law practice and gradually began his involvement with local and state politics.
In 1942, Craig was commissioned as a first lieutenant in the United States Army. He participated in the Normandy invasion and saw continued military action in France and Germany through to the conclusion of the war. He was discharged in 1946 with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He then returned to Clay County to resume his law practice, and he became involved in the American Legion. In 1949 he was elected National Commander of the Legion, having been nominated by Paul McNutt.
In 1952 Craig was nominated by the Republican Party for Governor of Indiana. He was easily elected, but he faced a divided Republican Party in the Indiana General Assembly. A number of his initiatives were not enacted, but he was successful in creating a Department of Corrections, a Uniform Traffic Code, a Mental Health Division, and improving and expanding the state highway system and mental health programs. His record received national attention, including a cover story in Time magazine in 1955 where he was described as “a swift-footed, swashbuckling, lawyer-politician” and an “administrator by instinct.”
After leaving office in 1957 he moved to Virginia to practice law and his business interests. He moved to Los Angeles in 1965, and in 1967 he returned to Clay County where he continued to practice law and serve on the State Board of Law Examiners.
George Craig died in Indianapolis on December 17, 1992. He was interred at Clearview Cemetery in Clay County. In 2003 he was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows.
Eugene “Gene” Dalton Fletchall was “a classic Hoosier through and through.” Born in the small Southern Indiana town of Poseyville on August 19, 1908, Fletchall graduated from Poseyville High School in 1926. Later that fall he enrolled at Indiana University. After three years at IU he ran out of money and left school to sell insurance. Two years later, he returned to finish his B.S. degree (1932) before entering the University’s law school. He received his LL.B. degree in 1934.
Not sure what to do after law school, Fletchall took the advice of a fraternity brother’s father who was a plant manager with the meatpacking company, Swift & Co. Fletchall joined Swift as a clerk in the refinery department at their Chicago facility in 1934. He would stay with the company for the next 38 years, rising to Executive Vice President by the time he retired in 1972. Swift was, by then, the largest meat-packing firm in the word.
Gene Fletchall was a devoted IU alumnus whose volunteer efforts for the University became legendary. Upon retiring to Bloomington, Fletchall began another career as a full-time volunteer serving the University, the IU Foundation, The Alumni Association, and the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU). Fletchall served as the IMU’s Development Officer well into his 90s and when he finally did step down in 2004, the IMU Board of Directors named the Union Board Room in his honor.
Fletchall served as President of the IU Alumni Association in 1963-64 and was awarded the Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1967. In 1969, he and his wife, Jane Malcolm Fletchall, established the Eugene D. Fletchall Fellowship at the law school. In 1996, Eugene Dalton Fletchall was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Alumni Fellows. He received the University’s Thomas Hart Benton Mural Medallion Award in 1997. Fletchall died in 2006 at the age of 98.
Paul G. Jasper was born on December 15, 1908 in Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana. He was educated in the Allen County schools, and then he entered Indiana University at Bloomington. At IU he lettered in both football and basketball, he was president of the senior class, and he was president of the Board of Aeons. He graduated with his law degree in 1932 and he returned to Fort Wayne to practice law. When the United States entered World War II, he enlisted in the Army and served with the Ninety-eighth Infantry in the Central Pacific, rising to the rank of major. When the war ended, he returned to Fort Wayne to resume his law practice and political career. In 1948 he was nominated by the Democratic Party for the Indiana Supreme Court, and he was elected by a solid majority.
Justice Jasper was just 40 years old when he joined the Court, the youngest individual to sit on the Court in nearly 50 years. The case load was heavy and Justice Jasper wrote 78 opinions during his four years on the Court. He also was appointed six separate times by President Harry Truman to the President’s Emergency Board to help with railroad labor disputes.
Justice Jasper resigned from the Court on March 23, 1953 to become the assistant general counsel for Public Service Company of Indiana, and then in 1974 he joined the Indiana Electric Association. He remained active in his association with Indiana University for the rest of his life. He was a lifetime member of the Alumni Association and served as its president in 1960. The Alumni Association awarded him the Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1970. He also belonged to the I-Men’s Club, the Woodburn Guild, and the Varsity Club. He also served the Law School as a class agent and Moot Court judge. For sixteen years he was on the Indiana State Police Board, and remained active in the bar associations for Marion and Allen counties, Indiana, and the American Bar Association.
Justice Jasper died on October 23, 2001, just a few weeks before he was to be formally inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows. He was interred at Lindenwood Cemetery in Fort Wayne.
Paul Johnson DeVault was born in Logansport, Indiana, on April 4, 1908. He was raised in Kewanna, Indiana, where he graduated from Kewanna High School in 1925. That fall he enrolled at Indiana University, where he received his B.A. degree (Phi Beta Kappa) in 1930. He began taking law school classes while still an undergraduate and untimely received his J.D. degree in 1932. As a law student, he served as the legal research assistant to Herman B Wells, who at the time was on leave from the faculty to direct the recodification of the statutes governing the financial institutions of Indiana.
With the experience gained from law school and working with Wells, he soon found a job with the firm that became Krieg, DeVault, Alexander and Capehart. Early in his career, he was charged with giving legal guidance to the agency charged with liquidating the insolvent banks and thrifts in central Indiana. In 1934, he was named General Counsel of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Indianapolis. He interrupted his career to serve as a naval combat officer during WW II. After the war, he returned to his firm and broadened his practice in a wide spectrum of civil litigation.
DeVault served on the Board of the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions, as well as the Civil Rights and the Fire Prevention Commissions of Indiana. He was deeply involved in his community and church organizations and served on multiple boards and task forces. DeVault guided his firm into becoming an eminent institution of over fifty members and in guiding the banks and thrifts of the state for over five decades. Two governors name him a Sagamore of the Wabash.
Paul J. DeVault was inducted into the Indiana University Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1989. He died April 11, 1993, at the age of 85.
William Ezra Jenner was born on July 21, 1908 in Marengo, Crawford County, Indiana. He attended Lake Placid Preparatory School in New York State, and then Indiana University. He earned his bachelor’s degree in 1930 and his law degree in 1932. Upon his graduation, he set up his law practice first in Paoli, Orange County, Indiana, and then in Shoals, Martin County, Indiana.
In 1934, Jenner was elected to the Indiana State Senate. He was reelected in 1938. He rose through the leadership ranks, serving as minority leader, majority leader, and president pro tem. He resigned his seat in 1942 upon his commissioning as a first lieutenant in the Army Air Corps. He was discharged as a captain in 1944.
In November of 1944, he was elected to the U.S. Senate to fill out the final few weeks of Senator Frederick Van Nuys' term. In 1946 he was elected to his first full term in the U.S. Senate. He was reelected in 1952, and then in 1958 he chose to not stand for reelection, retiring to his law practice and business interests in Indiana.
Senator Jenner’s terms in the U.S. Senate were known for his strict isolationist and anti-Communist views. He opposed foreign aid, and he called for the impeachment of President Harry Truman after Truman relieved General Douglas MacArthur from his Far East commands in 1951. Jenner was a close confidant of fellow isolationist Senators Joseph McCarthy of Wisconsin, Herman Welker of Idaho, and George Malone of Nevada.
William Jenner died on March 9, 1985 in Bedford, Lawrence County, Indiana. He was interred at Cresthaven Memorial Garden Cemetery in Bedford.
Harold Edward Achor was born in Coffeeville, Kansas, in 1907. His parents moved to Kosciusko County, Indiana when Harold was an infant. He attended public schools in Atwood and then attended and graduated from Indiana Central College (University of Indianapolis) in 1928. Three years later he graduated from the Indiana University School of Law. After law school Achor and class of 1931 classmate, William L. Peck, formed the Achor & Peck law firm in Anderson, Indiana. He remained in private practice until 1942, when he was elected Madison Superior Court Judge, where he served two terms. He was then elected to the Indiana Appellate Court and served a four-year term. In 1954 he was elected to the Indiana Supreme Court serving until 1966, a few months before his death.
In addition to his legal career, Justice Achor also taught speech and political science at Anderson College from 1932 to 1937. He was also a member of the Board of Governors of the Associated Colleges of Indiana and served on the Board of Trustees of Anderson College.
According to attorney John R. Leal, “Achor was soft-spoken, considerate, charismatic, had a tenacious grasp of the law, and an excellent memory for cases that upheld certain principles of law... He held a strong belief that rules of the Court must be followed in order to obtain jurisdiction and to properly present issues to the Court for deliberation. Many cases failed because the rules were not followed. Achor believed that without strict adherence to rules, there could be no orderly administration of justice and that ruled exist for the conduct and reliance by society in all walks of life.”
Achor is buried at the Maplewood Cemetery in Anderson, Indiana.
Daniel James was born on May 19, 1905, in Logansport, Indiana. James graduated from Logansport High School in 1923, before enrolling at Indiana University. He received his A.B. degree from Indiana in 1927 and then enrolled at the IU School of Law. After receiving his JD from the law school in 1929, he attended the Harvard Law School where he received a LL.M. degree in 1931.
James spent the majority of his legal career with the New York firm that became Cahill, Gordon and Reindel. He joined the firm in 1934 and became a partner in 1944. He would be associated with the firm for more than 50 years, becoming an expert in the complex regulation of the financing and governance of electric generation and distribution utilities. From depression-born reorganization to the creation of new corporate forms for atomic energy generation, James advised the industry and formulated policy for clients.
James was the first Chair of the law school’s Board of Visitors in 1964 and severed multiple terms on the Board. He also served for more than twenty years on the IU Foundation’s Board. James received the university’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1958, and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1986.
Daniel James died in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1997 at the age of 92.
Born to Lithuanian immigrant parents in Tiptonville, Tennessee, on July 30, 1905, Theodore Roosevelt Dann would spend most of his life in Indiana. He was raised in New Castle, where he graduated from New Castle High School in 1924, before enrolling at Indiana University in Bloomington. "Teete," as he was known to friends, led his class scholastically and was named by President William Lowe Bryan, President of the Board of Aeons (Lowe’s student advisory council.) Upon receiving his A.B., with distinction, in 1928 he enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law. Dann, again, excelled academically. He was Chairman of the Indiana Law Journal (v. 5) Student Board of Editors (today’s Editor-in-Chief), elected Order of the Coif, and was recipient of the Phi Delta Phi award for graduating first in his class.
After receiving his J. D. degree from Indiana in 1930, he received a Master’s of Law degree from the Harvard Law School in 1931. He then settled in Indianapolis and began practicing law under the watchful eye of attorney Jackiel Joseph. Hard work and dedication resulted in a growing and successful law firm, one that eventually employed more than twenty-five practitioners and became Dann Pecar Newman Talesnick and Keiman.
Dann was devoted to the Indianapolis Jewish community and served for over 40 years as Director of the Jewish Welfare Board, as well as serving as the President of the Board of the Jewish Community Center, and Director of the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation. Long a supporter of Indiana University he advised and assisted the University in numerous endeavors. Theodore R. Dann was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1987. Dann died on December 27, 1993.
Charles Abraham Halleck was born in Demotte, Jasper County, Indiana on August 22, 1900. He attended public schools, and then he served in the U.S. Army during the First World War. After he was discharged, he entered Indiana University at Bloomington, receiving his A.B. in 1922 and his law degree in 1924. Upon graduation he was admitted to the bar and returned to Jasper County to practice law.
In 1935, following the death of Congressman-elect Frederick Landis, Halleck was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in a special election. He was reelected 16 times, serving in the House of Representatives for 34 years until January 3, 1969. During that time he rose in seniority and eventually served in the Republican Party leadership. He was House Majority Leader from January 1947 to January 1949, and from January 1953 to January 1955. He was House Minority Leader from January 1959 to January 1965. Following heavy Republican losses in the 1964 election, Halleck lost his reelection to the House Minority leadership, defeated by then-Representative Gerald Ford of Michigan.
Halleck held strong conservative views and his loyalty to the Republican Party was renowned. He described himself as “100 percent Republican” and he was known for his ability to win a floor fight in the House. He was committed to civil rights and he worked hard to obtain Republican votes in the House of Representatives for the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964. Also during the 1960’s, he appeared in a regularly scheduled news conference with Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois that became known as “the Ev and Charlie Show.” He was considered as a running mate of Thomas Dewey in 1948, and Dwight Eisenhower in 1952, but was passed over both times.
In 1968, Halleck made the decision to not stand for reelection and retire from the House of Representatives. House Minority Leader Gerald Ford said “Charlie has had his hours of greatness, glory and triumph. Charlie has had his hours of disappointment. In both he has always been a gentleman.”
Upon leaving the House, he returned to Rensselaer, Jasper County, Indiana. Charles Halleck died of pneumonia on March 3, 1986 in Lafayette, Indiana. He was interred at Weston Cemetery in Rensselaer, Indiana, next to his wife who had preceded him in death in 1973.
In 1965, Indiana University awarded Charles Halleck an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. In 1983 the Federal District Court building in Lafayette, Indiana was renamed the Charles A. Halleck Federal Building. In 2010, Charles Halleck was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows.
One of America's best-known songwriters, Hoagland "Hoagy" Carmichael (1899-1981) exemplifies the variety of successes that can be achieved by graduates of Indiana Law. Carmichael graduated from the School of Law with a Bachelor of Law degree in 1926. After his graduation, he joined the Indianapolis law firm that is now Bingham Greenebaum Doll. It was not long, however, before his love of music enticed Carmichael to leave the practice of law and become a professional songwriter. “A few years of practice revealed,” he later recalled, “the profession held forth many prospects to which my timid soul was not clearly suited, and fewer hopes for constructive attainment that would satisfy my ego.” The legal profession’s loss was the American Popular Songbook’s gain.
During his musical career, Hoagy composed hundreds of songs, including such standards as "Stardust," “Skylark,” "Georgia on My Mind," “Heart & Soul,” “I Get Along Without You Very Well,” “In the Still of the Night.” "Lazy River," “The Nearness of You,” and "In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening," for which he won an Oscar. Most students and alumni of Indiana University are familiar with his "Chimes of Indiana," one of the two official Indiana University anthems. Carmichael's work in the entertainment industry eventually expanded into acting. He appeared in several motion pictures, including To Have and Have Not and the Academy Award-winning Best Years of Our Lives.
Carmichael was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1971 and as one of Indiana University's most beloved graduates, he received numerous honors from his alma mater. In 1953, he was presented the Distinguished Alumni Service Award and in 1972 he was granted an honorary doctorate of music. The foyer of the IU Musical Arts Center bears Carmichael's name, and the Carmichael Room at Morrison Hall exhibits memorabilia pertaining to the songwriter. Carmichael was named a member of the Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1995. He is buried in Bloomington’s Rose Hill Cemetery.
John Simpson Hastings was born in Washington, Indiana, in 1898. After two years at Indiana University as an undergraduate, he was appointed to the United States Military Academy at West Point, graduating in 1920. He was a Lieutenant in the United States Army, Field Artillery from 1920 to 1921, before returning to Indiana University for law school where he graduated with the highest scholastic average in the class of 1924.
After law school, he returned to Washington, Indiana, to practice law in the family law firm, Hastings and Hastings, the oldest law firm in that city. In 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower appointed him to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and he became chief judge two years after his appointment. He served as chief judge until 1968. In 1969 he assumed senior status on the court and served until his death in 1977.
Judge Hastings was an active member and officer of the Indiana University Alumni Association for many years, as well as a member of the Indiana University Board of Trustees, serving as president for nine years. He was a director of the IU Foundation and named national chairman of the Law School Fund Campaign in 1964. He served on the Law School’s Board of Visitors from 1970 until his death. Hastings was inducted into the Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1986. In 1988 the Law School established the John S. Hastings Faculty Fellowship through memorial contributions in his name.
Carl M. Gray, often called “the Dean of Indiana Lawyers,” was born in the tiny Indiana town of Portersville (Dubois County) on September 3, 1895. He graduated from Petersburg High School, in Pike County, in 1915. His early ambition was to attend Purdue University, but when he saw his cousin, a Pike County attorney, defend a client at a local murder trial, Gray decided he wanted to be a lawyer. He enrolled at Indiana University in 1915 and began taking classes in law. His road to a degree, however, would be circuitous at best. When the US entered World War I, Gray enlisted in the Army Medical Corps. Once the war was won, Gray returned to IU to finish his law studies, but eight hours short of his degree, he left the school to begin his legal career in partnership with former Indiana Congressman William E. Cox. Gray would practice law for more than twenty-five years, before deciding, in the late 1940s, to resume his legal education at the law school by taking part-time classes. He continued in this manner, off and on, throughout the 1950s, until finally completing the requirements for his LL.B. degree in 1961 – more than 40 years after he started and at the age of 66.
During his career, Gray served as Pike County Prosecuting Attorney (1923-1925), as a State Senator (1927-1931), and as President of the Indiana Bar Association (1943-1944). He also served on the Indiana Judicial Reform Commission (1966-1976), where he helped draft a new judicial article for the state constitution; the Civil Code Study Commission which wrote rules of civil procedure; and was a member of the Indiana University Board of Trustees (1966-1975). He received the 1966 Indiana Bar Association’s Distinguished Service Award, the 1978 American Bar Association’s Fifty-Year Award, and twice received the Sagamore of the Wabash award. Gray was presented with the IU Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1976, and the University awarded him an honorary LL.D. degree in 1981.
Carl M. Gray was one of 1985's founding members of the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows. Gray died, at the age of 93, on April 7, 1989.
Willis Hickam, Jr. was born on May 3, 1894 in Spencer, Indiana. After graduating from Spencer High School in 1912, he enrolled at Indiana University. He received his LL. B. degree from I.U. in June of 1918. After serving in the Army for a year, he returned to his hometown to practice law with his father and brother (Hubert Hickam). Health concerns resulted in Hickam taking a break from the practice in the 1920s, but he returned in 1929 and continued to practice until his death in 1978.
Hickam was a member of the Board of Managers of the Seventh Federal Circuit (1938-1940) and was Owen County Prosecutor in the 1930s and 40s. He was Director of the Owen County State Bank, for more than 30 year, as well as the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum. Hickam was an Adjunct Professor of Civil Procedure at the Law School during the 1950s and was elected a member of the Indiana University Board of Trustees in 1953. He served on the Board until 1965 and was President from 1959 to 1965. He later served as Director of the Indiana University Foundation.
Willis Hickam, Jr. received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Indiana University in 1967. In 1987, he and his brother were both inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1987.
Hubert Hickman was born in Spencer, Indiana, on April 19, 1892. Upon graduating from Spencer High School (1909), he enrolled at Indiana University. He graduated from the law school with a LL.B. degree in 1913. He returned to Spencer after law school and joined his father’s law firm, Hickam & Hickam. Hubert’s brother Willis (LL.B. 1918) also later joined the family firm. Hubert Hickam served as Owen County prosecuting attorney from 1913 to 1914. In 1915, he was elected to the Indiana state legislature. He served as a first lieutenant in the Quartermaster Corps during WWI, before moving to Indianapolis, in 1919, where he would practice law for the rest of his life.
Hickam was a member of the firm Noel, Hickam and Boyd from 1923 to 1926 and the firm Noel, Hickam, Boyd and Armstrong from 1926 to 1940. In 1940, he became a founding partner in the firm Barnes, Hickam, Pantzer and Boyd (Barnes & Thornburg). Hickam served as President of the Indianapolis Bar Association (1936) and was a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He was a member of the American Law Institute, the Bar Association of the Seventh Federal Circuit, the National Association of Railroad Trial Lawyers, as well as the American, Indiana, and Indianapolis Bar Associations. Hickam was the author of two well-received legal treatises, used in law schools across the country, A Civil Action: From Pleadings to Opening of Trial (1953) and Preparation for Trial (1963).
Hickam additionally served as Director of both the Owen County State Bank and the Owen County Savings and Loan Association. He served on the Indiana University Board of Trustees from 1953 to 1965 and was President of the Board from 1959 to 1963. Hubert Hickam was the recipient of the Indiana University Distinguished Alumni Award in 1967 and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1987.
Upon his death in 1978, his colleague Alan W. Boyd noted, “As a lawyer, he never deviated from the highest ethical standards of his profession. As a man, he was a warm human being, interested in many things outside his profession."