Graduates of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law achieve greatness. Whether practicing law in a small family firm, an international firm with offices around the globe, a start-up tech company, or any number of other settings in and outside the field of law, our graduates make a difference. The graduates listed here are examples of people who have gone the extra mile, not just excelling in their workplace or community, but by leaving their mark on the larger national and international environment.
Arrangement is by year of birth. To search for a specific notable alumni, use the search box in the upper left-hand corner of this screen.
Robert Neil Irwin was born in Greencastle, Indiana. He graduated from Fillmore High School in the small town of Fillmore, Indiana, in 1959, and then attended Rose Polytechnic Institute (Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology). He received his B.S. degree in civil engineering from RPI in 1963, and then enlisted in the United States Army. Upon his discharge, Irwin worked in the construction industry for several years, before enrolling at the Indiana University School of Law. While in law school, he served on the student editorial board of the Indiana Law Journal (v.46) and served as Executive Editor for the volume’s last two issues. Irwin received his JD, Order of the Coif, in 1971.
After law school, Irwin headed west and began his legal career in Phoenix, Arizona, where he would rise to become a senior partner in the Phoenix office of the international firm Bryan Cave, LLP. Over his more than 35 year career, Irwin practiced law in the area of business, with special emphasis on transactional matters for public and private companies.
In addition to his legal career, Irwin has served in leadership positions of many Phoenix business, economic, and non-profit organizations. He co-founded the Downtown Phoenix Partnership and chaired the Phoenix Aviation Advisory Board and the Phoenix Valley of the Sun Visitors and Convention Bureau. He has served as Chair of the Phoenix bond election and served on the Greater Phoenix Economic Council. Irwin was named one of the 25 most admired chief executive officers and top-level executives by the Phoenix Business Journal (2009) and was presented with the Downtown Phoenix Visionary Award (2010). He was awarded the Rose-Hulman Alumni Association’s Career Achievement Award in 2018, the same year he and his wife established the R. Neil and Michele Irwin Fund (a fund to support Putnam County, Indiana, projects with an emphasis on social services, education, histroic preservation, and animal welfare.)
Irwin currently directs The Irwin Companies, focusing on areas of real estate, farming, and consulting. R. Neil Irwin has served on the law school's Board of Visitors for more than fifiteen years, and was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2011.
Stephen Luther Ferguson was born in Indianapolis, Indiana. Ferguson grew up the Southern Indiana counties of Monroe and Lawrence, and graduated from University High School in Bloomington (1959). He then attended Wabash College, where he received his A.B. degree in Political Science in 1963. After graduation, he enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law, ultimately receiving his J.D. in 1966.
After law school, Ferguson joined his brother (James H. Ferguson, JD '53) in practice in Bloomington and was soon elected to the Indiana House of Representatives, serving four terms (1967-1974). The Ferguson brother's law firm prospered and grew throughout the 70s and 80s. In 1990 Ferguson left the firm to accept an offer from a longtime friend, Bill Cook, to join Cook’s medical device manufacturing company as Chief Operating Officer. Over the next thirty years, Ferguson would hold many titles within the Cook Group organization as it grew to be a global, family-owned group of businesses spanning medical devices, life sciences, services, property management, and resorts. Cook currently holds the title, Chairman of the Board. As President of CFC, Inc., Cook’s real estate arm, Ferguson was actively involved in the preservation and rebirth of downtown Bloomington and the restoration of historic French Lick, Indiana.
In addition to his work with Cook, Ferguson is active in a number of Indiana University, community, state and national organizations and presently serves on the Board of Directors of the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, Indiana Health Industry Forum, Central Indiana Corporate Partnership, Inc., Indiana Technology Partnership, 21st Century Research Fund, Medical Technology Leadership Forum, Regenstrief Foundation, Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute, Center for Human Growth, and Bloomington Parks and Recreation Foundation. He also serves on the Board of Trustees for the National Endowment for the Humanities. He served on the Indiana Education Roundtable, is a former member and past Chairman of the State of Indiana Commission for Higher Education, 1992-98, was appointed by Governor O'Bannon in 1998 to the Board of Trustees, Indiana University and reappointed by Governor Joe Kernan in 2004.
Stephen L. Ferguson has been named a Sagamore of the Wabash, by multiple Indiana governors, and was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2011. In 2018 he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters by Indiana University.
Thomas Ridley Lemon was born and raised in Bloomington, Indiana. He graduated from that town’s University High School in 1959 and then enrolled at Indiana University. Lemon received his A.B. degree from IU in June of 1963 and was then admitted to the Indiana University School of Law. Lemon received his JD from the law school with distinction, and was elected to the Order of the Coif, in 1966.
After law school, Lemon clerked for Judge S. Hugh Dillin of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. In 1967, he joined the Warsaw, Indiana, firm of Graham Rason Eschbach & Harris, where he eventually became senior partner. Lemon also served as Corporate Counsel to the City of Warsaw and the Chief Legal Counsel to Zimmer Orthopedic Products. In addition, Lemon has completed thousands of mediations and arbitrations, and served as the Primary Trainer for the Indiana Supreme Court Certified Mediation Program more than forty times. Lemon retuned to Bloomington and is currently Of Counsel with Mallor Grodner LLP, where he chairs the firm’s Alternate Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
Active in the Indiana Bar Association, he was a member of the Board of Governors (1974-76), served as Treasurer (1977), and was the association President (1992-93). He is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and served on the faculty of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy. Lemon has served on the law school’s Alumni Board (1970-1979) and was instrumental in the creation of the law school’s alumni weekend. Thomas Ridley Lemon was inducted into the Indiana University Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2003.
Edward Charles King was born in Pendleton, Indiana. After graduating from New Palestine High School (New Palestine, Indiana) in 1957, King enrolled at Indiana University. King received his B.S. in Business from IU in 1961, before enrolling at the Indiana University School of Law. He received his JD from the law school in 1964. After law school, King joined the Detroit law firm of Benjamin H. Long. After practicing corporate law for six year, King became the Director of the Center for Urban Law and Housing at the University of Detroit Law School.
In 1972, King moved to Micronesia, where he became Chief of Litigation for Micronesian Legal Services. He returned to the United States in 1976 to become Executive Director of the National Senior Citizens Law Center, a non-profit organization that advocates for the rights of older Americans – particularly those who live in poverty. In 1980, King returned to Micronesia to serve as the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Federated States of Micronesia. King also served as a justice for two other South Pacific jurisdictions, and as a Federal Magistrate Judge for the U.S. District Court of Hawaii. He returned to the National Senior Citizens Law Center in 2002, serving as Executive Director until his retirement in 2007.
Edward Charles King received the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Distinguished Service Award in 2009.
Franklin Cleckley was born on August 1, 1940 in Huntington, Cabell County, West Virginia and raised in McDowell County, West Virginia. He received his A.B. from Anderson College in 1962, and then he entered the Indiana University School of Law. He received his J.D. in 1965, and then he enlisted in the U.S. Navy, serving in the Navy Judge Advocate General Corps in Vietnam. His skills were so noted that he was named the most requested lawyer in Vietnam by the Secretary of Defense, and he received the U.S. Navy Commendation Medal. Upon leaving the Navy, he enrolled at Harvard University Law School, receiving his LL.M. in 1969. Upon graduation, he joined the faculty at the West Virginia University College of Law, become the first African-American full professor in the University’s history. Cleckley taught at West Virginia until 1994, when he was appointed to the West Virginia Supreme Court. After serving for two years on the court, he returned to West Virginia University College of Law where he continued to serve as an emeritus faculty member until his death.
Justice Cleckley was a prolific author, writing the Handbook on Evidence for West Virginia Lawyers and the Handbook on West Virginia Criminal Procedure, and he co-authored other books on the practice of law in West Virginia. He received numerous awards for his work over the years, including the Civil Libertarian of the Year Award from the West Virginia Civil Liberties Union; the Civil Rights Award from the West Virginia Human Rights Commission; the West Virginia NAACP’s Thurgood Marshall Award; and the Public Citizen of the Year Award by the West Virginia Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers. Justice Cleckley was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1995.
Justice Cleckley died on August 14, 2017.
Thomas G. Fisher attended Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, graduating in 1962. He entered the Indiana University, Bloomington School of Law in 1962, earning his LL.B in 1965 and his J.D. in 1968. He served as the Jasper County Prosecuting Attorney from September 6, 1967 to July 1, 1986, and he maintained a private law practice in Remington during these 21 years. On July 1, 1986, Governor Robert Orr appointed Fisher to the newly-created Indiana Tax Court. Judge Fisher served as the Judge of the Tax Court until his retirement on January 16, 2011.
Fisher currently serves at Senior Judge for the Indiana Tax Court, and he is active in various professional and civic organizations. Thomas G. Fisher was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2010.
Francis Xavier "Frank" McCloskey was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1939. After his high school graduation in 1957, he joined the Air Force. He was discharged in 1961 and began a career as a journalist, working for the City News Bureau in Chicago and the Indianapolis Star. He began working for Bloomington’s Daily Herald-Telephone newspaper in the mid-1960s, covering politics and city hall. At the same time he attended Indiana University, majoring in Political Science, and graduating with an A.B. in 1968. He then attended the Indiana University School of Law, where he received his J.D. in 1971.
While still in law school he began his campaign for Mayor of Bloomington, as a Democrat, and was elected in 1971. He held the position until 1982. In 1983 he was elected to the U. S. House of Representatives, Indiana Eighth District, and was re-elected five times, before losing in 1994. McCloskey’s congressional campaigns were not without controversy – his first hinged on his opponent’s arrest for drunk driving just before the election, while his 1984 re-election resulted in a recount lasting 4 months, a walkout protest by the entire Republican House, and ultimately a 4 vote win.
As a result of a Congressional fact-finding mission in 1991, McCloskey began a decade long campaign to bring peace and stability to Bosnia and the Balkans. His actions often brought on the wrath of world leaders and politicians, but ultimately his efforts helped pave the way for the Dayton Peace Accords in 1995. After losing his seat in 1994, McCloskey returned to Bloomington but continued to work on Balkan peace initiatives and was named Director of the Kosovo Programs for the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs in 2002.
McCloskey died in Bloomington in 2003 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. McCloskey was inducted into the Law School's Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2008.
George Patrick Smith, II, was born in Wabash, Indiana. After graduating from Wabash High School in 1957, he earned his bachelor’s degree (1961) in business, economics, and public policy from Indiana University. He then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law where he received his JD degree (1964). He later earned an LLM from Columbia University (1975). From 1976 to 1977, he was a Commonwealth Fellow at Yale Law School’s Program in Law and Medicine. From 1977 until his retirement in 2016, Smith was a professor of law at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.
Smith was awarded an Australian-American Fulbright Foundation Award in 1984 and was appointed Fulbright Visiting Professor of Law and Medical Jurisprudence at the University of New South Wales. A prolific author and leader in law reform, Smith’s bibliography includes 13 books and more than 157 law review articles, monographs, book chapters, and essays. Additionally, Smith has held more than 70 academic fellowships at a variety of colleges, universities, institutes, and centers around the globe. A lifetime member of the American Law Institute, Smith has been a consultant to UNESCO’s International Bioethics Committee, the U.S. Congressional Committee on Science and Technology, and the New South Wales Law Reform Commission in Australia.
In 1985, Smith received the IU Distinguished Alumni Award and a citation of honor from the Indiana University Institute for Advanced Study (where he was a member) for “his path-breaking interdisciplinary research and writing on medical and biological issues as they relate to law and ethics.” He is a generous contributor to many facets of Indiana University, including the IU Musical Arts Center, Auer Hall, the Indiana Memorial Union Arts Guild, and the IU Auditorium. He is the founding benefactor of the George P. Smith II Distinguished Professorship and Chair of Law and Legal Research at the IU School of Law, and was a member of the school's Board of Visitors from 1998 until 2012,
George P. Smith, II, received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Indiana University in 1998 and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2007.
Rufus William McKinney was born in Jonesboro, Arkansas. He was one of twelve children born to his parents, a minister and a homemaker. After graduating from Booker T. Washington High School, he left Jonesboro to attend Arkansas AM&N College (University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff), where he earned his B.S. in business administration in 1953. Jones then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law and received his J.D. in 1956. While in law school, he became the first African-American to serve on the journal’s editorial board, as a note editor.
After graduation, McKinney spent 13 years working with the Solicitor’s Office of the United States Department of Labor. In 1966, he began working for Southern California Gas Company, where he would rise to Vice President of Governmental Affairs. In 1979, he was part of small group of African-Americans associated with energy companies that formed the American Association of Blacks in Energy. The Association is devoted to ensuring that minority voices are heard when energy policy is deliberated. He served on its board for more than 20 years.
McKinney retired from Southern California Gas Company in 1992, but worked as an independent consultant for many years. In 1998, he was appointed to the Maryland Commission of Human Relations, which administers and enforces the state’s anti-discrimination statute. Rufus W. McKinney was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2002. In 2004, his autobiography, Beating the Odds: The Story of One Black Man’s Life in Twentieth Century America was published.
Vivian Sue (Blodgett) Shields was born in the small central Kentucky town of Wilmore. She grew up in the Wanamaker/New Palestine area of central Indiana, and graduated from New Palestine High School in 1955. After high school, Shields attended Ball State Teachers Colleges (Ball State University) in Muncie, Indiana. She graduated with a B.A. degree in 1959 and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law. Shields, the only woman in her class, received her L.L.B., Order of the Coif, in 1961.
After spending a year as a attorney and regional counsel for the Internal Revenue Service in Ohio, Shields became the Deputy Attorney General for the state of Indiana. Prompted by the political uncertainty of reelection for her boss, she decided to run, at the age of 24, for judge of the Hamilton County Superior Court in 1964. She won the election (the first woman to ever be elected a Indiana general jurisdiction judge) and served until 1978 when she was appointed to the Indiana Court of Appeals (the first woman to ever serve on the Appeals Court). She remained on the court until 1994, when she was selected to serve as U.S. Magistrate for the Southern District of Indiana (the first woman to ever serve as a magistrate judge in the district courts of Indiana). She retired in 2007.
Additionally, Shields served on the Indianapolis Bar Association’s commission on Marion County Courts, has been secretary and director of the Indiana Lawyers Commissions section on sentencing appeals, and has served on various committees of the Hamilton County Bar Association. Shields received the Indianapolis Bar Associations’ first Antoinette Dakin Leach Award (1990) and its Buchanan Award for Excellence. Shields served on the Law School’s Board of Visitors twice, 1976-1988 and 1994-1996, and chaired the Board in 1994/95. V. Sue Shields was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1994.
Michael Kanne was born in Rensselaer, Jasper County, Indiana. He attended St. Joseph’s College and then Indiana University, earning his B.S. in 1962. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a lieutenant from 1962 to 1965. Following his discharge, he enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law, earning his J.D. in 1968. He then returned to Rensselaer to begin his practice of law. He was in private practice from 1968 to 1972, and then he served as the city attorney for Rensselaer in 1972.
Kanne began his judicial career in 1972, serving as a judge on the 30th Indiana Judicial Circuit. In December 1981, President Ronald Reagan nominated Kanne to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana. He was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on February 8, 1982. He served as a District Court Judge for five years, and then in February 1987, President Reagan elevated him to a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. On May 19, 1987, Kanne was confirmed by the U.S. Senate and he began his service on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Judge Kanne was a lecturer in constitutional law at St. Joseph’s College from 1976 to 1989, and at St. Frances College from 1990 to 1991. He was a member of the U.S. Judicial Conference Committee on Space Facilities from 1987 to 1994, and he chaired the court design standards of the committee. While chair, the committee produced the U.S. Courts Design Guide, the first reference standards guide written by the judiciary for all federal courts in the U.S.
Judge Kanne has served on the Board of Visitors for both the IU School of Law and the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs, and he is a past president of the Law School Alumni Association. He has received the Distinguished Alumni Service Award from St. Joseph College, the Presidential Citation from the Indiana State Bar Foundation, and the Distinguished Achievement Award from the General Services Administration. He was inducted into the Law School’s Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1999.
Judge Kanne died on June 16, 2022.
Terrill D. Albright (Terry to his friends) was born in in Lebanon, Indiana, on June 23, 1938. He was raised in the tiny Clinton County, Indiana, town of Colfax. In 1956, he graduated from Colfax High School and enrolled at Indiana University, where he received his A.B. in Political Science in 1960. After college, Albright served in the United States Army in Korea, where he received the Army Commendation Medal for meritorious service. He returned to Indiana University in 1962 and enrolled in law school. Albright served as a Junior Writer for the Indiana Law Journal in 1963/64 and as Articles Editor in 1964/65. While attending law school Albright worked for the Indiana University Foundation and helped to establish the law school’s Annual Fund program. Albright received his J.D. in 1965.
Albright spent his entire professional career with the Indianapolis offices of Baker & Daniels. His expertise was as a civil jury trial attorney and an appellate practitioner, focusing on complex commercial and construction litigation. Albright was an active member of the Indiana State Bar Association, serving as President in 1993-1994. From 1995 to 1998, he served on the executive council of the National Conference of Bar Presidents, and was a member of the American Bar Association’s House of Delegates from 1993 to 1995. He retired in 2010.
Albright served as a member of the Indiana University School of Law Board of Visitors in 1978-79 and also served as the President of the Law Alumni Association. Albright was inducted into the Indiana University Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2001. Terrill D. Albright died in Indianapolis on October 6, 2013 at the age of 75.
Carl Edward Ver Beek was born in Byron Center, Michigan. Raised in west-central Michigan, he graduated (1955) from Holland High School in Holland, Michigan and enrolled at Hope College, also in Holland. He graduated from Hope, cum laude, with an A.B. in history in 1959. Ver Beek then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law. While in law school he served on the editorial board of the Indiana Law Journal (v. 37), was elected Order of the Coif, and graduated with his JD in 1962.
Fresh from law school, Ver Beek returned to his home state and joined the Grand Rapids firm of Varnum LLP, as their twelfth lawyer and the firm's first non-University of Michigan law graduate. He would remain with the firm for more the fifty years, during which time it would grow to more than 170 attorneys. Ver Beek soon discovered he had a passion for labor and employment law. Ver Beek has negotiated hundreds of union contracts, tried hundreds of arbitration cases and arranged numerous National Labor Relations Board elections by agreement or through NLRB proceedings. He has been involved in collective bargaining for manufacturing, health care, education, and religious employers in both private and public sectors.
Ver Beek has held leadership roles with the Michigan State Bar, as well as the American Bar Association. Carl Ver Beek received the State Bar of Michigan’s highest honor in 2014, when he was awarded the Hudson Award. A year later, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Award from the Labor and Employment Section of the Michigan State Bar. He has been honored by Hope College with its Distinguished Alumni Award (2009) and was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2017.
Joseph Theodore Bumbleburg was born in Lafayette, Indiana. After graduating from Jefferson High School in 1954, he enrolled at the University of Notre Dame where he received his B.A. in Economics, Cum Laude, in 1958. Bumblegurg then enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law, receiving his law degree in 1961. Upon graduating from law school, Bumblegurg was commissioned a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve. He served in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps until 1964. Upon leaving the service, he joined the Lafayette firm of Ball Eggleston and has spent his entire career providing quality legal service to his hometown community. Bumblegurg started out in trial defense work for local insurance companies, but eventually focused on real estate development, municipal law, zoning and subdivision law. He also has had extensive civil trial, estate planning, and government affairs experience.
Bumblegurg has always been very involved in the Tippecanoe County community. In particular, he has been involved with the local Red Cross, in a variety of positions, since he was 15 years old. This culminated with his receiving (1992) the Harriman Award for Distinguished Volunteer Services, the highest award the American Red Cross gives for volunteer service. He has also been very involved with the American Legion in Tippecanoe County, served on the board of directors of the United Way, the Lafayette Police Civil Service Commission and as Secretary for the Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Merit Board. In addition, he has been an active supporter of Indiana Vocational and Technical College (Ivy Tech) and is a past member of the the school's Board of Trustees.
Joseph Theodore Bumbleburg was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2002.
Robert Paul Kassing was born in Indianapolis, Indiana. A 1955 graduate of Concordia Lutheran High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Kassing then enrolled at Indiana University. Kassing received his B.S. degree in Business in 1959, before enlisting in the U.S. Army. Once discharged, in 1961, Kassing returned to Indiana University and enrolled in the school of law. While in law school he served on the student editorial board of the Indiana Law Journal (v.38 no.3-4) before becoming Articles Editor for volume 39. Kassing received his JD from the law school in 1964.
Kassing joined the Indianapolis law firm of Bose McKinney & Evans after graduation and remained with the firm for more than 40 years. He became a partner in 1969 and served as managing partner from 1971 to 2004. Kassing oversaw tremendous growth at the firm, chairing the firm’s management committee and directing several firm and partner organization functions. As managing partner, he initiated the firm’s sponsorship of the Sherman Moot Court Competition at the IU School of Law. Since 2004, he has directed the firm’s mentoring program for new partners from other firms. Kassing has alwyas had a passion for entrepreneurial endeavors and has served as a trusted counselor for many Indianapolis companies as they developed and expanded.
Kassing is an active member of serval philanthropic organizations and has served on multiple boards of businesses, many created by his clients. Kassing served on the law school’s Alumni Board from 1982 to 1989 (including as President in 1987/88) and has been a member of the school’s Board of Visitors for more than 15 years. Kassing has also served on the school's Entrepreneurship Law Clinic Advisory Board.
Robert Paul Kassing was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2006. He was awarded the Indiana University Partners in Philanthropy Cornerstone Award in 2008 and the IU Foundation President’s Medallion in 2009.
Robert Phillip Duvin was born in Evansville, Indiana. A 1954 graduate of Benjamin Bosse High School in Evansville, where he competed in Golden Gloves boxing matches, Duvin next attended Indiana University in Bloomington. He received his B.S. degree, majoring in Business, from Indiana in 1958. He then enrolled in the University's law school, from which he received his J.D. in 1961.
After graduation, Duvin spent three years of service in the military. He then moved to New York and earned a LL.M. from Columbia University (1964). Duvin’s legal career began when he joined Burke, Haber & Berick, a Cleveland corporate law firm. He spent seven years with the firm, was named a partner early, but ultimately decided to strike out on his own in 1972. Over the next few years he helped start Duvin, Cahn, & Hutton, a firm which grew to become a major labor and employment law firm, representing some of the largest companies in America. Before it merged with Littler Mendelson in 2007, the firm was selected by The American Lawyer as one of the top six management labor law firms in the country.
The list of professional honors and recognitions Duvin has received is astonishing. He has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America, every year between 1983 and 2018. He has been named a Super Lawyer, a Top Employment Lawyer, a Senior Statesman in Employment Law, and named to the First Tier of Labor and Employment Lawyers. Robert Phillip Duvin was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2013.
Roger Lee Pardieck is a lifelong resident of the southern Indiana town of Seymour. He was born there; raised there; graduated from high school there (Shields High School,1955); and has now spent more than fifty years as an attorney there. He pursued his higher education at Indiana University (A.B., 1960) before jumping across the Atlantic Ocean to attend the International Graduate School in Stockholm Sweden (1960). He then returned to Indiana and enrolled at the Indiana University School of Law, where he received his JD degree in 1963.
Before starting his civil practice in 1965, he served as special prosecutor in Jackson County for two years. It was while serving in this prosecutorial role that he became convinced that his future lay in the areas of trial law and seeking justice for those who had been injured by the actions of others. Pardieck has tried hundreds of jury trials in the areas of toxic torts and products liability, resulting in changes to manufacturing and marketing of everything from pharmaceuticals to recreational vehicles. Pardieck is the first and only Indiana member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, an organization of 100 U.S. plaintiff’s attorneys who have million-dollar verdicts. He is also a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, an organization limited to just 500 trial lawyers from around the world.
Pardieck has received numerous and awards and honors, including being named the Indiana Trail Lawyer of the year in 1996 and 2011. He received the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001. He served as President of ITLA in 1975-76 and has been on the ITLA Board of Directors for more than 45 years. Roger Lee Pardieck was inducted into the Indiana University Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2008.
Gerald Leon Moss was born in South Bend, Indiana. He graduated from Central High School in South Bend in 1954. He then enrolled at Indiana University and received his B.S. in business in 1958. After receiving his undergraduate degree, he enrolled at the IU School of Law. Moss received his JD degree from the law school in 1962. Soon after, he accepted a position with the Indianapolis law firm of Bingham Summers Welsh & Spilman. He remained with the firm for his entire career, retiring in 2004 as a Senior Partner.
Long active as a supporter of both the law school, and the University, Moss has served as a member of the law school’s Board of Visitors (1980-81; 1994-2003) and the school’s Alumni Association (1975-1982, President in 1980-81). Additionally, he served on the IU Foundation Board of Directors and the National Board of Directors of the IU Varsity Club. He is a past president of the Indiana University Men’s Club of Indianapolis. Equally committed to the city of Indianapolis community, Moss has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association, the Advisory Board of the Indianapolis Downtown Inc., and the Board of the Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee.
Gerald “Jerry” Moss was presented the Indiana University Alumni Association President’s Award in 2001 and the School of Law’s Distinguished Service Award in 1999.
Jost W. E. Delbrück was born in the town of Pyrzyce, in northwest Poland, on November 3rd, 1935. After WW II, he received his secondary education in Germany, before studying law and political science at Kiel University. He came to America in 1959 to study at both the Indiana University School of Law and the I.U. Department of Political Science. This culminated in his receiving his Masters of Law in 1960. He then returned to Germany and completed his examinations in law. In 1963, he returned to I.U. as a research fellow in the methodology of law, political theory, and sociology.
Over the next 50 years, Delbrück became a renowned scholar, author and teacher of international law and German constitutional law. He was awarded his doctorate from Kiel University in 1964 and continued his post-doctoral studies at the The Hague Academy of International Law. In 1972, he became a professor of Law at the Georg-Ausust University at Göttingen and Director of its Institute of Political Science and Theory of the State. He served as the Dean of the Faculty of Laws at the University of Kiel from 1979 to 1981, as well as serving as President and Rector of the University from 1985 to 1989.
In addition to his academic career, Delbrück served as a Judge, on the Administrative Court of Appeal Schleswig-Holstein and was a member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague. From 1997 until 2001, he served as President of the German Association of International Law. He also served as a delegate of the Federal Republic of Germany to the UN Human Rights Committee and is a member of the funding commission of the German Society for Peace and Conflict Research.
In 1991, he was appointed to the faculty of the Indiana University School of Law, teaching courses in international and European Community law and serving as a Resident Fellow of the Indiana University Institute for Advanced Study. Delbrück received an honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Humanities, Social Science, and Education of the Ott von Guericke University in 2006 and was inducted into the Indiana University School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 1992.
Jost Delbrück died in Kiel, Germany, in November 2020.